Friend was DX
Country
US
State
ca
City
san diego
Hi All,

I have an extremely close friend who has bulbar ALS. I'm trying to help with getting her a communication device for speaking.

She has Kaiser insurance, which only works with a couple of the communication device companies, and not the one she is interested in. I know with ALS she is automatically eligible for Medicare. And, from what I understand, if she had Medicare, they would pick up the cost of the equipment that Kaiser rejected.

Hi All,

I have an extremely close friend who has bulbar ALS. I'm trying to help with getting her a communication device for speaking.

She has Kaiser insurance, which only works with a couple of the communication device companies, and not the one she is interested in. I know with ALS she is automatically eligible for Medicare. And, from what I understand, if she had Medicare, they would pick up the cost of the equipment that Kaiser rejected.

My question is, if she adds Medicare as her secondary insurance, does anyone know if that will increase her premiums, either via Kaiser or Medicare? Does anyone else with ALS have Kaiser and Medicare that I might be able to talk with? I've called the ALS Association and plan on talking to Kaiser as well, but thought I'd try this avenue to see if anyone is in the same boat with the dual insurances.

Thanks!

Hi tanjak,

My father-in-law has been diagnosed with bulbar ALS also, and while ALS is an automatic qualification for SSI disability, it still takes time to process. We have been going through the process for about 3 months now, and he currently has no health insurance of any kind as his FMLA is over and we are still waiting for Medicare. If your friend can wait for Medicare to be processed, then that would be good, but otherwise, I believe the great people I've met on here may have some suggestions :)

Marisa

Hi there. Tell your friend to register with the local ALS chapter and the MDA chapter. And tell him or her to ask the social worker at the ALS clinic. One or all three should be able tohelp, even if just with loaner eguipment. Good luck. Cindy

tan,

ALS is an automatic qualifier for SS Disability and Medicare. Your friend should have been approved immediately as the disease is listed as TERI (sp) for terminal. In six months the SS payments would begin and Medicare would be effective in 5 months. The Medicare will cost a little over $90 a month if I remember correctly and can be taken out of the SS check automatically. Medicare supplemental has an additional cost. Your friend needs to look at the different plans offered in his/her local area to determine which supplemental plan would be the best. I know nothing about Kaiser.

The Social Worker at the ALS Clinic should be able to help guide your friend or even the agency on aging in your area can help with insurance decisions for Medicare. It can be very confusing.

You are a good friend for trying to help out. So sorry you have been touched by this disease.

Tan, The medicare part A that is the hospital benefits are free. The part B is Doctors I was told that it would be $93.00. I was checking on the part D (Rx) and called my insurance Blue Cross Federal. Was I suprised to learn the co-pay of $203.00 I was paying for rilutek, could drop to $38.00 if I had it mailed from Caremark. This might not help but maybe the case worker from the insurance company might could help. I applied in June and will receive my first LITTLE check in Dec. Now that the Rx has gone down it helps. I am not complaining though every little bit helps. God bless, sherry

Tan I have Bulbar ALS also. Tell your friend my prayers are with them and with you also. sherry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back