Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Pollyanna and everybody on the thread

HI POLLYANNA: This is in reference to your message above:

I am much in your shoes like most of us on this thread started by you, my husband can't move, can't eat, brush his teeth, in a few words he can't do anything by himself, thank's God he can still EAT of course I have to feed him, both his hands have his fingers curled inside, the feeding (breakfast, lunch and dinner takes me about an hour an a half), he refuses the PEG, his speech is hardly understandable so we use his eyes and me questioning him and trying to figure out what he wants, etc. etc.

Well he's a man 5ft.10 I am only 5ft. 5in, he can't stand anymore and he can only sit on his wheelchair when my son comes and carries him to the chair.For the toileting I use a a portable toilet sit, the way I do it is that I bought only nylon pajamas that help me to slide him on bed in an easier way after that what I do is I remove the back from the portable toilet and I pull my husband's legs until I get his butt in place, than I put one of my feet to hold the toilet and with one of my arms I bring his back up to a sitting position than I put the back rail and that's the way he can use the toilet, after he finishes I can wash his parts with soap and water, and also use babies wipes which are very useful, after that my back hurts for days.

For a bath my son comes and helps me, this can't be done everyday (he's busy he's a doctor), but in between I give him sponge baths everyday.

We have a hospital bed and I have a twin bed beside him where I sleep, we normally go to sleep around two a.m., but he wakes up every half and hour and asks to be turned over on the side, (THANKS GOD HE HASN'T GOTTEN ANY BED SORES), I also use a homedics massager because his back aches and he gets a lot of relief with the massage.

This is a horrible disease but there's a saying that GOD NEVER GIVES US ANYTHING WE ARE NOT ABLE TO HANDLE.

My husband's disease started around June 2005 and was Dx Oct. same yr. by Oct. 2006 he couldn't walk, couldn't use his hands and on Jan. 2006 his speech started to slurr.
He can still breath but can't blow his nose, can't get his phlegms out by himself.

WELL HOPE TO HAVE BEEN OF USE (AT LEAST THE PART OF THE NYLON PAJAMAS AND THE PORTABLE TOILET).

THE BEST TO YOU ALL.

P.D. MY HUSBAND REFUSES TO HAVE A NURSE COME AND BATHE HIM.

PATY
HUSBAND'S CAREGIVER
BAJA CALIFORNIA, MEXICO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back