Status
Not open for further replies.
Well we made an appointment for a second opinion which was supposed to be next week, which I thought was rather quick but I was pleased. Even better I received a call today that there was a cancellation for Tuesday (tomorrow) and naturally I took it. So I take my Dad tomorrow. Not sure if they will be able to tell me anything then or have to wait for reports but at least I'll have some info sooner than later. Hoping for the best..

Oh, hi Rich! Am so glad you're back! Thanks for sharing with us. I'll be praying for your dear Dad! God bless, and good luck!

Irma

So today is the day! Be sure to check in with us when you get back...Cindy

Ok I know everyone was mad at Lou for his comment, but let me say this, my grandfather got cancer when he was 84, when my dad told him he said oh well, if that did not get me something else would have. I think that is what Lou meant.
I think this disease is sad for everyone, but I am sorry I am a little more moved when it is someone in the prime of life, or even younger. I am not saying anyone should have this disease, but I think having a young family, or not having a chance at a family is devastating... I myself would be able to handle this disease one-hundred percent easier if I had been much older, without youngsters, and such.. Just my two cents.

Rich,

My father was diagnosed at 72 and died at 79. He lived alone until he died. I went over there every single day and took care of him. I would get him settled in his chair, fed, toileted, cleaned, etc, and then leave and he would be alone for several hours until someone came and gave him lunch. Then in the afternoon he was alone until someone else came and did his dinner. I did the hard stuff at the beginning of the day, 7 days a week, so I knew that the important things were taken care of. He soooo much did not want to be in a home, and it was important for me to try to see that he didn't have to. Anyway, what I'm getting at, is that your father could possibly still continue to live alone. He will just have to agree that he's not going to do things that might get him hurt, like try to walk or eating (choking hazard). It is possible, or at least it was for us. People were horrified, but it worked for us. It was very difficult for me, but it was still doable. My dad agreed that he knew there were some risks, but it was worth it to him to stay home. I hope that helps. I don't know how we would rate who should get ALS and when. I know I was incredibly sad that I had to see my father get that horrible disease, but I was glad that he had me to help. Mary Helen

I, too, lost a young son almost a year ago, but I see it as God calling His children Home. He is the one that is in control, we just have to be ready, and accept His work. I did not see where anybody got mad at Lou, we were in total awe. Lou is part of this family, too. This is the best forum on the net. I honestly think we have a wonderful bunch! God bless everyone!

Irma

Thanks for the ocmpliments, Irma!

I bet Rich would like to hear more comments form folks who helped their elderly parents through ALS. Anybody?

I am not Mad at Lou

I totally got what Lou was saying. And I think I replied in the right way. In respect to bothy parties.

Lorie

Bad news for us, he has ALS so says the second group of doctors seen today although they are scheduling him for another EMG since these particular docs were not the ones do to the first EMG.

Thanks for all of your support it’s very appreciated and yes Cindy I would love to hear some elderly health care stories from others. The doctors seeing him today and the social workers at the re-hab center are both suggesting a nursing home soon. I would love to take him to my house and still may for at time but due to his age, eyes are failing, very poor hearing, inability to get out of bed alone, everyone is concerned for his well being as am I. I have a formal meeting with the social workers on Thursday so hopefully we can come up with better options. Thanks again.

Rich, you and your Dad are in our prayers. Rich, can your Dad still speak? I am so sorry for the bad news. May our Father be with him always during this journey. You are a good son. Do you have any brothers or sisters? God bless!

Irma

Irma, his speech is the strong and the breathing test he took today registered a 98. If I understand correctly that doesn't mean much but it's used as a bench mark for future tests. I am an only child so it will be just me. Can you believe just three weeks ago he was still driving during the daylight hours, though was getting ready to call it quits due to his failing eyesight and difficult walking.

Hi RIch- on another thread they have started a discussion of taking care of our elderly parents along with our own families. Being an only child you may feel more stretched. Here's hoping for a slow progression for your Dad. Please keep us informed and feel free to ask anything that is on your mind! Cindy

Cindy, I can't seem to find that thread could you please direct me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back