Diagnosis
3/2008
Country
US
State
ma
City
weymouth
My 88 year old dad was just diagnosed this week with ALS, he does not yet know. We will be taking him to Boston for a second opinion. His symptoms started in October but have progressed over the past month. He has gone from weakness in his right leg while walking to not being able to stand up without support. His right hand cannot hold objects because it has no strength, his left hand and and leg seem fine as of now.
I will read as much to learn more but for now I just want to ask a few basic questions.
I understand all cases and people are different but here goes.

Will all symptoms eventually consume i.e. speach impaement, inability to swallow, etc.

He reports no pain now, does this change and if so how is physical comfort administered, even without pain how extreme are the physical suffering symptoms.

He was living alone and obviously cannot going forward, where can an ALS patients live,
does medicare and blue cross cover assisted living facilities, is nursing home an option, what are my other options. Our home can welcome him but we work and he would often be alone.

How rapid ( i realize this really is a case by case) does one decline and is age a factor.

lithium from other posts seems to be real hope and seems to be working based on what people are saying, why does it not have wide spread usage?

I'll go back to reading but thanks your your anticipated responses, And what else should I be asking for now.

sorry to hear

Rich

Sorry to hear about your Dads Dx. I am from Weymouth also. What clinic in Boston are you going to. everyone sypmtoms seem to be different in the progression of the disease so nothing is set in stone. I have heard somewhere that Massachusetts has either built or is building a home for single PALS but i am not 100% on that so ask at your appointment or contact the MASS ALS assicaition. Good luck with everything

Steve

Hi Steve, his doctor is having him go to the Mass General Hospital.

RICH,

check out the following link re: ALS Facility in Mass.

www.leonardflorencecenter.org/

Very sorry your Dad has been diagnosed with ALS. Every PALS (person with ALS) is different. Your Dad may or may not develop all the symptoms. But it is good to plan ahead for augmentative devices just in case ( such as voice banking ).

I think pain also varies from person to person depending on what has been impaired. Range of motion exercise is very important.

As for Lithium, wide spread use is not reported because this has recently come to the forefront through an Italian study ( although I've read of animal studies re: ALS & Li in the past). Please go to the following web site for more info. Look at the chart of PALS that have undertaken a self study on Lithium. My husband is #111 DaddyO.

Good luck to you and your Dad!

Last edited by a moderator:
He is 88...

I wish I coultd get ALS at 88. He had a good run, may he rest in peace.

Try 29 years old. Newlywed. Try those apples.

Dont come crying here with an ALS case with an 88 year old.

Is that appropriate? No, suffering is not confined to the young. This board is for everyone.

I agree

i am so glad you said something Steve. that comment has no place in this site. I am a young person myself but would never say that to anyone.

Stop it...

get over yourselves. The guy lived a great life. experienced everything. i never got a chance to have a child, i never really got to enjoy my marriage, i never got to enjoy my house that i worked so hard to buy. This guy had a great life. EVERYONE dies someday. EVERYONE.

Lou,

I realize you are hurting and feeling down because you are so young to have a problem with your body that does not seem to have a resolution. I wish you could turn your bitterness into something positive to help not only yourself, but others.

Each person that is touched by ALS or any MND has a reason to lament and gnash their teeth. But there are two ways you can deal - either wallow in self pity or look for a purpose and act on that purpose to make your life more fulfilling. There are wonderful PALS that have faced the adversity of ALS and made their life and the lives of others something to be treasured.

Every life is special, whether you be 29 or 88. And each life contributes to mankind one way or another. I'm sure there is someone in your life Lou that cares about you as much as RICH cares about his Dad.

Life

All Life is precious. I had just Pm'd Al yesterday about a young woman that came on here and was over anxious. I told him that she is Young. Just like Lou. I can understand Lou's anger, because he has not really had a chance to experience a normal Life in the process of the different experiences you have as you age normally. I also agree with others, ALS is devistating at any age. For the PALS and the Family. No one ask for or deserves this sentence.

COMPASSION FOR ALL!

Lorie

For God's Sake

he is 88. Hey pal, u got 59 years more then me...

Rich,

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Most of us that come to this forum are here to provide support and information in order to help each other out.

Please keep us informed on how your father is doing. Anything you learn and can add to this forum will be welcomed and may help another PALS along the way!

I wish I coultd get ALS at 88. He had a good run, may he rest in peace.

Try 29 years old. Newlywed. Try those apples.

Oh My God! I cannot believe what I am reading! I am the type of a person that tries like "hell" to mind my own business, but this time I gotta come forward and throw in my 2 cents! ihag, your post is very rude! Als is Als! It doesn't matter if you are 1 yr old, or 100 yrs old! This 88 year old man deserves a lot of respect like anybody else. This is an insult! Very uncalled for! Sorry folks----this is not like me!

Irma:evil:

Yes, lhagsjr. You are way out of line. If you want to make somebody feel bad you have come to the wrong forum. I've sent you a PM. Cindy

Hi Rich! Sorry I did not welcome you sooner but my day got away from me yesterday! Anyway, I am glad you decided to join us but sorry for the reason you are here.

To answer one of your questions, your Dad probably will not feel much pain with ALS. He may feel mild pain in some muscles if he overuses them, sort of like overdoing it at the gym. And as the muscles die off, some folks complain about their bones poking into the bed or chair but memory foam often takes care of that. His most troubling issue may well be anxiety. He is likely to have trouble breathing at some point, and if he is given a bipap, some folks have trouble adjusting to something over the nose or mouth.

His other biggest adjustment will most likely be loss of independance. He could get to the place where he needs help with simple, everyday tasks and for most people this is a huge blow.

Some, or all of these things, may happen over a period of months or years. Everybody is different.

Contact us as often as you need. People are more than willing to answer your questions and there is a wealth of information here, all of it from folks who live with this disease every day. Cordially, Cindy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back