Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
MA
City
Pioneer Valley
We're anxiously awaiting the arrival of a Hoyer lift as transfers are really difficult. Could anyone point me to a thread for Hoyer newbies? And if there isn't one, could I gather your wisdom here?

I am wondering:

1. If you have recommendations for slings;
2. If it's possible to sit on the sling within the PWC, so that the sling just gets hooked up from there;
3. How many and what kind of slings do you recommend (i.e., one for use and one in the wash).
4. Any other tips and tricks you've learned the hard way!

We thank you.

My husband was so resistant to the idea of a lift and would not use it until he was too weak and exhausted to fight the idea any longer. It is fantastic and makes his life so much easier and has done wonders for my anxiety level. We have a ceiling lift whicht has a track running across the ceiling rather than a hoyer but the principle is the same. We have a universal sling that extends from shoulders to just above buttocks so it is perfect for regular transfers and using the commode. It can be placed in his PWC or the transport chair that we use upstairs and then adjusted so that the straps are in the correct place. The sling can also be arranged once he is sitting in the chair by pulling him forward a bit to position it behind his back and then lifting one leg at a time to get the leg portion under. He is very private so I remove his underwear in bed and cover him with a pillowcase before arranging the sling. His backside is visible to the PSfW but the front is safely covered. Before getting the lift, I was afraid that I wouldn't be strong enough to get the sling on or that it wouldn't be positioned properly and he'd fall out but he works the controls and we lift him a little to make sure that everything is in place. Now I don't worry about a fall at all. I hope that you find the same relief that I have; ALS gives us enough to worry about!

That is the sling that I use it is never removed except for my shower and when it is washed. We went a cheaper route then the medical hoist but it is on ceiling track. My husband could not roll the hoyler lift on the carpet

We used the Invacare Reliant 450 lift. I had two split let slings (universal sling). It was very easy to get under him. We left it in place when he was in the PWC and when he was in his lift chair (it was great to have under him so that I could reposition him easily). We removed it when he was in bed and in the shower/commode chair showering. It only took one person to put it in place and remove it.

I've been in it twice now, and feel very safe... only have used when I fall on my butt, it gets rolled out and I get lifted to the bed.

My question is, what do PALS do for a lift when you're out and "gotta go"?

They're pretty easy to use. Are you getting an electric Hoyer Lift or hydrolic? There are videos on You tube that are very clear with instructions on how to use them.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, friends. All your stories and the videos will be very helpful. I'm not sure what kind of lift we're getting - it depends what hospice brings.

Please make sure it's electric if it's at all possible!

We have been using a manual Hoyer for all transfers for sevral months now. We are looking at the possibility of upgrading to an electric lift. I do not like to keep the sling under me in the wheelchir or in bed because of how it feels. I can tolerate it if I know won't be hours. Maybe its just me but certain fabrics make me feel trapped because I can't shift when I'm uncomfortable. When I feel trapped my anxiety level goes up. Just my experience.

I'm with you, Labmom! Certain fabrics definately make it more difficult to shift our weight in both chair and bed as our muscles decline.

Oh yes, Hoyer lifts are so much helpful for the physically handicapped people. If a person can't move his body, then this type of lift can help him a lot. In the same way, stair lifts are also helpful for those people who face the problem in climbing up and down the stairs in their home.

I've been in it twice now, and feel very safe... only have used when I fall on my butt, it gets rolled out and I get lifted to the bed.

My question is, what do PALS do for a lift when you're out and "gotta go"?

Helen, are you no longer able to transfer from a chair with a little help when you're out and about?

Are you falli g because you're walking when you maybe shouldn't be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back