00/0000
Country
US
State
IL
City
SMALL TOWN IN
Hi Everyone,
Thought I'd stop in to say Hello. For new members I'm Kim (Skipper). I lost my dad November 21, 2015 to limb onset ALS. He lived with it for 3 1/2 years since his diagnosis. Looking back we think he had some symptoms for at least a year before his diagnosis.
In my dad's situation he became hoarse at times but miracously never lost his voice except of course in his final hours. I was so thankful for this because we had to move him to a assistant living facility in Dallas, Texas because we couldn't get anyone in a small town in Illinois who would care for a ALS patient in their own home. We tried every agency you can think of. Advertised etc. So, we moved him to Dallas a few blocks away from my brother's home and in the same town as my sister as well. It was a absolutely beautiful place and he had his own apartment there. Luckily, dad was a veteran and they paid for tons of his expenses. Just to live at his facility it was $6500 a month. I know people knock the VA but they really came through for my dad. He had great care in Dallas at their clinic. Wonderful caring doctors.
I'm doing ok. I miss my dad tremendously but know he is in a better place and is no longer suffering from this disease. But, even with this terrible disease my dad still enjoyed his life. He enjoyed going to sporting events of his grandkids. He always kept his humor. He thought it was funny though we didn't. But, he attended a volleyball game of his granddaughter and a ball went out of bounce and hit him. He got quite a black eye. He said people probally thought he fell out of his chair or something.
Then there was the times he went outside in his pwc and one time accidently put it into high gear before he could stop it and people were diving out of the way. He thought it was funny when he had to call for help when he would get his tire stuck in their outside flower gardens.
My dad owned movie theatres in our town growing up. One of the best things we got him when he got sick was to subscribe him to Netflix. He watched several movies a day.
I still attend a grief support group at my local church. It's every Tuesday and you can go whenever you want too. It has really helped me heal by talking about my dad. It's not all gloom and doom there. We actually laugh at times sharing good memories. If any of you are griefing I would highly recommend attending such a group. I was hesitant to go but it did me a world of good.
Just wanted to let everyone know that you're in my thought and prayers. Skipper (Kim)

Glad you are doing well Kim. It's nice when you can look back at all the good memories.

Thanks for stopping in, Kim! Happy to hear you are coming to terms and getting support.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back