Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
UT
City
Morgan
Hi Everyone, I am 37 yr old Mother to 3 kids and have been having some troubling symptoms..im just looking for some opinions on if this sounds like ALS. I documented everything that has happened
10/5 woke up with stiff painful hands
10/6 hands still stiff in morning
10/7 wrist pain at night
10/9 woke up fine got ready, went to doctors appointment and by the time i got there both arms numb feeling, shaky. She scheduled EMG and nerve test to check for carpal tunnel..Started getting dizzy that night, blurry vision
10/10 started getting jerking body parts, muscle spasms, head pressure, tightness in back, neck, tight jaw which lasted till end of October then things got 97% better only an occasional twitch here and there, thought it was weird and maybe i had just gotten covid or some weird virus

12/18 driving and spot on my face started feeling funny, numb
12/22 heel went numb, arms started feeling crampy, started getting more spasms again
12/25 arms felt painful, weak, little sharp pains. tightness in arms, calves, head and jaw pressure or tightness to this day.

My EMG was normal. Had an MRI and it showed a few small T2 white matter hyperintensities. Currently seeing a Neuro now and waiting for more testing. My clinical exam was normal also. I did ask him about ALS and he said i didnt need to worry about it mainly because of my age is what it sounded like...Since the symptoms started back up in December the tightness or spasticity has been really bad. I have this horrible pressure or tightness around my head and neck. I am worried the EMG was done too early, i did read the stickies but its been hard waiting in limbo to figure out what is going on and the anxiety is killing me. I would appreciate any input anyone has. My great aunt passed away from ALS a couple years ago and while im not worried about it being hereditary, it has made me more aware of this disease. Thank you in advance!!

Hi there-

Sorry you find yourself here. A fair amount of what you post points away from ALS. The sensory issues- numbness, pain, pressure, tightness- plus the dizziness and blurry vision indicates something else is going on. I am glad you're seeing a neuro, but it's likely all of what I just listed is what caused them to eliminate ALS from the differential, along with the clear EMG. Your age definitely would be another reason along with what I listed.

I hope you get your answers soon- it sounds like your neuro is being very thorough and you are receiving excellent care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back