Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Tennessee
City
Lafayette
OK, here it goes. I will start by saying I am 21 years old and a male. I have never really dealt with health problems so this is all scary to me. About a week ago I started dealing with a severe headache in my left temporal region. It was almost as if the pain was making my face and eye feel numb. There was a tender spot in my head close to an artery that was very sore to the touch. I have been to the ER 3 times, had all blood work done. I have had MRI with contrast and also a CT scan all showing normal. I describe the pain as a dull constant pain in my head, almost a burning sensation. No doctor has had any clue what is going on. I am scheduled to see a neurologist in 5 days since no one can diagnose my headaches. Now. The more I think about it, the more I fear ALS. My muscles on my left side are clearly not as strong as the ones on my right, from my legs to my arm and bicep. I have had no real twitches, just developing a very stiff neck, probably from stress, also I pop my neck religiously only on one side. My strength on my left side just doesn't feel up to par with that of my right side. I have not had any symptoms of a sore tongue, but I have had some pain chewing. I have noticed my left side weakness before, but dismissed it as just it not being my dominant side. Since the headaches started, I have developed a stuff neck, and am now starting to notice my left arm and left side chewing becoming more painful. I resect anyone on this board and all opinions are greatly appreciated. Is there any chance these headaches are from the onset of ALS, and by me dismissing the diminishing strength of my left side it has developed into a more serious symptom? The pain in my head is at some points unbearable. Please all opinions are greatly appreciated.

No, the pain in your head has nothing to do with ALS, nor do your other symptoms sound anything like it. By all means see the neurologist to figure out what is going on, but forget about ALS and do yourself a favor by staying away from this site. By the way, if you DID have ALS, ignoring it wouldn't make it worse--it's fatal, period. This is not the place for you, but I do wish you luck in resolving your health issues.

If you had read the stickies for this subforum before posting you would have had your answers and not wasted the time of people with limited abilities and time.
When you signed in to post you were instructed to read them first. Ignoring this show disrespect to dying people and their caregivers

Pain means no ALS. You're too young to even think of this disease. Read on:

The incidence of ALS is roughly 2 in every 100,000 . . . and of that . . . only 5% are diagnosed prior to the age of 30 . . . and the further away from 30 you are, the more diminished your chances.

So let's do some numbers:

2/100,000 is 0.002% chance (which is about the same chances of getting hit by lightning according to the Red Cross).

Now let's take your age into consideration. Again, only 5% are diagnosed prior to age 30, so to get that percentage, simply take 0.002% and multiply it by 5% (i.e. 0.05). That gives a percentage of 0.0001% or a 1 in million chance . . . and that's at best. Again, the further away from 30 you are, the more diminished your chances".

I like your math ECpara. The engineer in me verified it. Now it makes me want to win the lottery. Maybe I should by a ticket. It might increase my chances.

Patrick

It reminded me of the movie dumb and dumber "So your telling me theres a chance".

I apologize for my ignorance. I am only worried because it seems like I'm losing sensation in my facial muscles. I have had headaches for over a week and am actually taking medicine for shingles even though a rash has not appeared at all. The pain of the headache has actually moved to an extent from the side of my head more towards the back now. I am sorry to waste anyone's time. Just very worried

Keep your doctor appointment and hopefully he can figure it out! Aren't you glad it isn't ALS!

Very. I feel so much grief for even letting my mind slip to the point of where I thought it was. Just the constant headache pain and also the numbness in the face and pressure had my mind really reaching for answers. I then would catch myself laying in bed and actually caught a twitch in my leg and it scared me to death. An idle mind is the devils workshop I suppose. I apologize for offending anyone.

Why aren't they checking out your heart if most of your symptoms are on the left side? You definitely don't have ALS symptoms at all. So, please leave this site and find a qualified doctor.

They have checked my heart previously. I have a athletic heart was the only diagnosis as my heart rate is very slow. I go to the neurologist on Thursday hopefully that will tell the tale. Again, I am sorry for ever posting on here but the fact that all the tests showed nothing just had me visiting the google doctor and this is where he sent me. If anyone may have any idea of what might be causing these symptoms please do post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back