02/2008
Country
CA
State
Manitoba
City
Winnipeg
Hi All,
I posted a couple of questions in the new comers section last month while I was waiting to see a neuro as I suspected ALS after checking into every other kind of disease with the symptoms I was having. I talked about my original symptoms in that thread. I had the appointment yesterday. The neuro did the EMG, and nerve conduction tests.

He was a great compassionate neuro and sat with my wife and I to confirm that I do have ALS. Thanks to this forum we at least had some understanding of the disease.

We will be in contact with our ALS Society here for Manitoba this coming week. As noted in my previous post they were the ones who helped fast track me to see this neuro. He actually came in on his day off to do the testing himself. We are so thankful as the other guy was going to take 4 months before we could see him.

Anyhow, for my wife Joan and I, I guess it really starts now - this terrible and fearful journey. It was very hard to talk to all our children and our parents (who by the way are all in their 70's and in great health) about the diagnosis that I received yesterday.

We are thankful though that we are not in that horrible (waiting to find out) stage anymore!

You will no doubt be hearing from us on a regular basis. Thanks for being here.
Rick and Joan

Hi Rick and Joan. Thanks for sharing that fearful experience with us. I am so sorry for the actual diagnosed. I haven't been posting in almost 2 days (that's too long for me), I was with my son and family for a while. Rick, I will be praying for you and your wonderful family. God bless your parents, they're up in age. These kind of news are so devastating. When I learned that my son had ALS, my world came to a halt! I heard the world "Als," and knew what it was, more or less. Every time when he would tell me what his symptoms were, I'd run to the computer, and did not like what I was reading. So, I knew what to expect. When the news were delivered, I went numb, I felt hollow, no feeling in my body, but I was screaming like an insane person. I was so mad at myself, because I felt nothing but numbness. I was devastated for days, it lasted months. It was terrible. I hate this damn disease. Now that my son is gone, I have found peace. I miss my son, but have accepted his departure. It is a long, sad story.

Let me tell you what happened to me yesterday morning. After I left my son's house, I told him I was going to the cemetery. The cemetery is in the city (Houston) 22 miles from my house, I now live in the country (Tomball, a suburb, but very country. and love it!) My son told me to be careful, so foo I went. Once I got to the cemetery, they were having a service not far from my son's, and it was open casket at the gravesite. This is the first time I have been close to a funeral, or the like, since my son's departure. It really tore me up. I had to walk hurriedly to the car, because I did not want for them folks to see me crying. What an experience!

Rick, may God bless you and your family. I will certainly keep each one of you in my prayers. Feel free to ask questions!

Irma

Sorry to hear of your diagnosed. I was just diagnosed in Dec 08. I started on the lithium therapy yesterday. You might want to read the threads on that here and at als.net. It is something I decided to try after much research. Just do a search on lithium and/or Italian study. Since I am in the early stages I'm hopeful I can slow/stop the progression. This site is wonderful for support and information. I always know I can count on feeling better emotionally after reading these threads. I'll be praying for you.

Sharonca

Last edited by a moderator:
correction DX date is 2/1/2008 not 2007 sorry!

Thanks for your kind thoughts and prayers.

AGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH realized I put 2007 instead of 2008..on the thread title.
Head is not working too well today.

Rick and Joan

Hi rick- my condolences to you and Joan and the rest of the family. We never like to hear another PAl has joined the ranks! Glad we could help you prepare, though. Best wishes as you begin this new journey. Cindy

Not much to say Rick other than sorry about your crappy luck. If you need anything you know where to find us.
AL.

Rick and Joan

We are Rick and Marjorie. So sorry about your DX. We are just beginning our journey too, and things are going really well... not too bad yet. Rick's DX was in October "07. He is having surgeries to save his right leg too, as he was in an explosion in July. I guess I can say at least you don't have that to deal with too. Rick is a wonderful, fine man, with a great attitude. It is me that complains and grieves. We are sorry to hear your news, but are sure your great family will keep you going with all their love and caring ways. We will be here for you on the forum... and there is no subject you can't talk about or ask about. Blessings to you and yours, Marjorie

I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis! If you are able, live life to it's fullest. Go all the places you've wanted to go, eat all things you've wanted to eat. Fight for every day with your lovely wife. Love each other and your family like mad.
Prayers for you and your family,
Carla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back