Just got an EMG and they put the needle in my neck. Should I be concerned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PracticalMud

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
I have been having a lot of hand twitching for the past 7 months. I visited a neurologist and they ordered an EMG. I was zapped and poked with a needle.

He said he wanted to be “thorough” and put the needle in a few areas that concerned me.

For example, he inserted the needle here on the front side of my neck near whatever is pulsating underneath.

View attachment 28959

He also inserted the needle here under my chin.

View attachment 28960

He continued and inserted the needle here (close to where they draw blood).

View attachment 28961

And here on the inside areas of my wrist.

View attachment 28962

I slightly bled in all the areas I was poked. My concern is why did he poke my neck and chin areas?

If you look here at the scab where he poked me with the needle, you can see my pulse is right in that area. Do I need to be concerned about him potentially hitting or nicking an artery, carotid, jugular?

Any advice would be appreciated since I was only expecting to get poked in my arms.

And here are my results. Does anyone know what this means?

67EF3DD5-FA24-4AE9-AD6D-DB19B6496B63.jpeg

Hello-

You photos did not make it through for some reason. However, the most important thing is the EMG results summary- which very clearly provides a diagnosis and explains why it isn't ALS. If you are worried about their technique causing you injury, please visit with your doctor who can provide you an examination.

This is a very good result, with regards to your concern about ALS. What comes next with regards to treatment for carpal tunnel, would be something to discuss with your doctor.

Please take care

If you feel unwell from the emg seek medical care. However under the chin and the sternocleidomastoid which are the areas you seem to describe are very common bulbar screening sites. I have had both a number of times during research emgs with no after effects at all. As Fiona says the results very clearly state no signs of MND

Hello-

You photos did not make it through for some reason. However, the most important thing is the EMG results summary- which very clearly provides a diagnosis and explains why it isn't ALS. If you are worried about their technique causing you injury, please visit with your doctor who can provide you an examination.

This is a very good result, with regards to your concern about ALS. What comes next with regards to treatment for carpal tunnel, would be something to discuss with your doctor.

Please take care

If you feel unwell from the emg seek medical care. However under the chin and the sternocleidomastoid which are the areas you seem to describe are very common bulbar screening sites. I have had both a number of times during research emgs with no after effects at all. As Fiona says the results very clearly state no signs of MND

Sorry, I guess my original pictures didn’t post. Reposting for clarity.

He inserted the needle here on the front side of my neck near whatever is pulsating underneath.

C9E79C9E-6E3B-4573-85DE-1D1351E9B9A9.jpeg

He also inserted the needle here under my chin.

1B71687A-5415-4B74-AF29-34FE9C76B06D.jpeg

He continued and inserted the needle here (close to where they draw blood).

3708D327-D0FF-4651-8454-D33B32985D87.jpeg

And here on the inside areas of my wrist.

02404551-57BA-49D4-B1EA-79DCBB8EAA24.jpeg

If you look here at the scab where he poked me with the needle, you can see my pulse is right in that area. Do I need to be concerned about him potentially hitting or nicking an artery, carotid, jugular?

And these results are considered normal?

051CD422-8CA0-4A57-82A5-F72D270C6EB5.jpeg

No, but if you are worried, see a doctor- though, if he'd hit something vital, you'd surely know about it by now because you'd be bleeding and unable to stop it. And, as we've both stated above, the results do not indicate ALS- they provide you a diagnosis of carpal tunnel.

The results seem pretty clear. If you don't understand them, please make an appointment and discuss with your doctor.

The last line says NO EVIDENCE FOR MND. Great news!

If he 'hit an artery' you would have had blood literally spurting out everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back