Just Diagnosed - Is Cold Weakness Common?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve is right. The hand warmers are great. When my brother and I went up Mt. Washington at the beginning of March they were invaluable. I would not have been able to do it without them because the cold just kills the fine motor skills in my hands. I highly recommend using them if your hands are affected by the cold.

Michael

In my wifes case cold and faciculations seem to go together. I am told faciculations are a bad thing as they lead to muscle wastage.

Fasciculations are a symptom that indicates the nerves are not firing correctly and are dying. The fasciculations are not the cause of that happening.

We are going into winter here. My progression with my hand makes me dread the cold, whereas everything else I do, due to fatigue I imagine, makes me hot! I can't do gloves, way too difficult, so I'm going to get some mittens.
Very fortunate that the coldest days here are probably only low sixties (I lived in England for two years when I was younger and was taught to figure out rough translation from Celsius to Fahrenheit.) although it's a very very windy place and my main route to town on Henry is along the beachfront.
Janelle x

My whole body slows down when it's cold. I live in Colorado where it snowed on Mother's Day.

Patrick I always think snow when I think of Colorado. Snow in May...is that rare? It snowed heavily once my whole two years in the UK. I made snow angels. I saw how to do it in a movie once!
Enjoy the summer.
God bless, Janelle x

Snow in May is common. I have lived here my all my life 56 years. I can remember it snowed in July once I was 5 at the time.

Wow. I have a vague feeling there's a saying...
'It'll be a cold day in July before...'
Isn't it amazing, all the things that happen in our lives, the things we remember from our childhood.
I remember, also at 5, deciding to give my dad a running race. I was sure I'd flog him. Well turns out he flogged me! I thought him old but in later years I realised he was only 31 at the time!
God bless, Janelle x

put me in the cold any day. cant wait to get in cold ocean for some relief

>Snow in May is common

thankfully! 75% of our water comes from the snow pack ...

I find the cold here is SO cold they (hands) are less functional when it's freezing out, even before ALS, So put the two together and I might as well have lobster claws for hands.

Dbach there is something about moist cold which chills me much worse. We visited NS about 11 years ago. It was beautiful, but chilly in June.

Random, but we went camping all weekend, and Michael noted that he was cold all weekend, but that didn't make him stop. When he gets cold his hands (primary complaint) work the same, but his legs stiffen up. Is that a common thing?

Soaked in the ocean yesterday it was 60 degrees cold. I felt no pain and like I was strong again. Today I am worse than I had been. Take the goods with the bads.

I love the cold and thought that Tim would have a hard time with it when he moved here from Texas, but he put me to shame. He was in his glory, and loved to be out with just a T-shirt, while I had to have a heavy jacket. But after he was diagnosed it slowly changed, and he would just seize up. I have the boxes of chemical warmers from Costco as well, and in the winter put a down sleeping bag on his lower body with a couple of them thrown in the bottom. But he has also become very sensitive to the heat these days as well, and when he gets hot he says he feels like he has been pushed into a cactus patch. OK, I can't identify because there are no cacti here, but I know that it doesn't sound comfortable. I usually get a cold wet cloth and wipe him down to cool him, and now he sits under a large umbrella while on his wheelie pad over the garden to protect him from the sun. Then because he can't move even the fan can make him chilled and blue, so it is a balancing act. He won't complain, except for the prickly patch heat, so I check with him often. We keep the house at a steady 75 degrees winter or summer, but he does love the outdoors. You do what you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back