Diagnosis
04/2016
Country
US
State
Somewhere
City
Small Town
Good morning, all... First of all, I do apologize for my somewhat lengthy disappearance from the forums. I was in a tailspin following that late April appointment at the ALSA Center of Excellence for a second opinion.

At that initial second opinion meeting, the Director of that Center noted several seemingly minor, and yet potentially meaningful, variances on my MRI's. He requested that I meet with a spinal surgeon for an evaluation. Of course, when I returned home and requested that evaluation, the spinal surgeons requested new Cervical, Thoracic and Lumbar MRI's and getting those took some time. After the studies were completed, I met with the Chief of Neurosurgery at a regional hospital who informed me that there was absolutely no progression on the MRI's and nothing on those studies would cause my current signs and symptoms. Another opinion, from the orthopedic spinal surgeon who had performed my lumbar laminectomy a few years ago yielded the same results.

Last Friday, July 15th, my wife and I made the trip to that Center of Excellence for a repeat visit. During that visit, the Director of the Center viewed the new MRI's and concurred with the spinal surgeons regarding progression and with the Director of the Clinic's diagnosis of UMN predominant ALS with a very slow rate of progression.

So, I guess I'm here for the long haul. Our oldest son and his wife know, and we'll be taking our middle son, his wife, and our youngest son's wife to dinner tomorrow and will share the news with them then. Our youngest is still in the military so, although I'm not pleased, I'll need to break the news to him via Skype or a phone call. I'm still working full-time and plan to for the next few years if at all possible.

For those who reached out to me by various means during that period of silence, know that your support is most encouraging to me. Since I don't yet have the ability to send private messages, I was unable to respond.

Peace to all!!

Welcome to our wonderful family, we will do our best to support and love you and answer your questions and let you rant and rave if you need to. Luv Gem

Thanks, Gem!! If ever there's anything with which I might be of help, please do let me know.

John

Sorry to hear that the diagnosis was confirmed. Telling people is so hard. AS you can see, you will find a lot of support here.

Bad news and good news. Bad that ALS is confirmed but great news that you are a very slow progressor !

Welcome John, this forum will be a big support, try to post often and be apart of the family. We all need each other. Love ya chally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back