Status
Not open for further replies.
If you end up having ALS, there will be plenty of time to be scared and anxious... and if you don't have ALS, you have wasted time worrying . In other words, try to enjoy this very moment, because that's all any of us can be sure of anyway.

I think this is the best advice for any of us- DX'd or not!

I agree with that notion. Its just very hard to follow that for certain people. I guess for me I worry to much. I appreciate the advice you guys are giving.

My big twitches have become very rare where maybe once a day I will feel it on my thighs or left elbow.

My main concern now is these tingling little tiny electrical shocks I am feeling kind of like a bug crawling on you that come up very often now all over my body such as calves, thighs, feet, arms, stomach, but no that many noticeable twitches.

I will be checking today with my General Doc today for my blood test and will post the results.

PMA is progressive muscular atrophy. It is not thought to progress as fast as ALS, but there is a chance that it will progress into ALS. A Google search gives a lot of information on this type of motor neuron disease. There is also a PMA suppoort group link at the top of this ALS home page.

Ok so I went in today and the Doc really told me I do not have a MND and the emg will be - for any MND's . I persisted and after a 5 minutes of going back and forth he got a little upset and said he knows what he is doing. I told him I am in no way questioning his skills in his trade, but I just want it to reaffirm for myself. He said ok then lets stop wasting time and I will do the EMG. I guess he took it as an insult.

He did a dictation last week, but for some reason could not locate my file but told me he remembered my case very clearly. I told him its spread to my legs and I feel like bugs crawling on it and the twitches come and go. Please note I did not remind him that it was a majority in my left hand and left elbow. I told him that I have been getting it in my legs and thighs.

We did the EMG and it was done on my legs, feet, calves, and lower back. I was not sure if he was suppose to do my arms and hand as I didn't want to sound like I was insulting him. Everything came out fine except for a slight pinched nerve in my lower back.

The test was pretty painful for a 1st timer.

All my blood test came back fine except for mercury as I need to go back and retest that. Folic, b12, thryroid, cpk all normal.

Question is this-

1-If the majority of the twitching is in my left elbow was the EMG he did sufficient to pick up any problems even though they were done on the lower extremeties. I do get twitches there but a majority are on the left hand and elbow?

2- Should I go back and request a hand and elbow EMG?

Feeling like things crawling on the skin

I have the feeling of things crawling on my skin too. I describe it as if someone was taking a single strand of hair and drawing it across my nose or lip or cheek or somewhere. I also get single needle pricks in different parts of my body. I usually rub them and they seem to go away. I wonder if that is what you describe as electrical shocks. My neuro didn't want to do an EMG because the physical exam was normal. I'm going to watch your posts closely because it seems we share some symptoms, I have twitches in thighs, calfs, instep, and arms. I feel a little weakness in my left arm and legs but the neuro couldn't see it. you can see my original post if you want by clicking on the blue DMHltd. I'm just waiting to see if that gets worse. Hope things work out well for you (and me :-D)

Hey it sounds like more bfs than ALS from all the symptoms. He told me that he sees my kind of symptoms alot and he is sure I don't have ALS.

Do you have any hot spots? My left elbow has been the most annoying as its very constant I would say maybe 3-4 hours worth of twitching in 1 day.

Twitch location and frequency

My left instep twitches the most. Some times it twitches and seems to hold in the twitched position for minutes at a time. I guess maybe thats a cramp, but it doesn't really hurt. What made me originally go to the GP was one on the lower right thigh a little above and to the left of my knee cap. That one was doing about 2 or three twitches a second all evening and restarted the next day. I haven't had that one since. The ones in the calfs are single fires. I don't really have any that last all day in the same place. The ones on my hands actually move the index finger or ring finger. The neuro says ALS fascics don't move the joint. I don't know if PALS agree with that though. I also get single shot pains in the calfs occasionally. There seems to be some disagreement between PALS and the medical community weather there's pain with ALS.

From visiting both forums I always end up with a fearful ominous feeling after coming here and reading all the stories. The aboutbfs site brings me back some sanity.
In the end I guess we should trust out Neurologist.

Hey Mr 28yr old

Hey there- I too have experienced the SAME Thing w/ Twitching. I am a 28 year old female! I havent had the finger twitching but I have had it every where else- I've done this before about a year and half ago and never had it again til last week. (I was also on LEXAPRO BOTH TIMES). I am pregnant therefore a EMG canNOT be done. However I spoke w/ my OBGYN today and he knew a lot about ALS. I told him how I felt ..the anxiety etc. He first TOLD me as your NEURO did MY AGE plays a BIG THING- its just NOT COMMON, VERY RARE. ALSO..he stressed to me how ANXIETY plays a HUGE ROLE.....And i notice when im out and about having fun such as today..(finding out my babys SEX *its a girl :mrgreen:* ) I hardly hand any twitches- but I got home and started studying the net again and TWITCHES and BOOM they came BACK! but not near as bad. My OB put me on Prozac and begged of me to go to a psychiatrist. He said my obsession with this is very unhealthy...and only makes it worse.
Soooooo- I was just gonna tell you...I might would try the ANTI ANXIETY pills. I can tell today by ONE PILL I am better. I am sooo relaxed. A lot of PEOPLE experience twitching- and its benign..Unfortunately there is ALS, BUT..my thing is...and as someone said in previous threads..take your doctors word.. *Neuro's are pretty smart*. and enjoy the moment.Anyhoo also LIMIT yourself to this stuff and dont endless search for symptoms. TWITCHING is ONE SYMPTOM Of ALS.
I am soo thankful for the people on this site and their thoughts and concerns. They are Great! ESPECIALLY AL! :)
Take Care, DeeDee

So DeeDee if I'm great, are you naming the baby Alana?
LOL
AL.

DMHltd - You sounded like you were wondering if your twitching in one spot for a long time was a cramp... from what my husband experiences, a cramp is more like a charlie horse and makes him jump out of bed from a deep sleep or out of a chair totally unexpectedly. I'm not sure if yours is a cramp or not... definitely sounds like fascics though. Hopefully, you just have BFS. :)

DeeDee - I think Al might be on to something... Alana is a beautiful name! LOL Congratulations on your little princess! ;)

Take care.
Pam B in Va

Al

Would you be mad dear if I said that was a PRETTY NAME :mrgreen: LOL! It is tho!
Thank you so much for your uplifting words ya gave me the other day and optimism. I had enough confidence to bring it up today to my doc! :mrgreen: Drink some wine for me, would ya!

Actually we had company for dinner and did have wine. I have a niece named Alana so I won't be upset if you choose something else. Glad I could help you over some of the hurdles of life DeeDee. Take care.
AL.

Thanks Again Al

Thanks hon! I started the Prozac last night...and I didnt twitch all night and I havent this morning- I guess I learned my lesson on just starting and stopping a medication w/out docs supervision- it would have answered a lot of my questions and worries from the get go!
Glad you had a good dinner- I dont know what it feels like to keep food down! Prengnacy reeks havoc sometimes! :mrgreen:

Look, I had and I still have the same symptoms as you.

I have twitching for more than 7 months - no weakness, no atrophy..only my joints are cracking but thats probably due to many and hard excercise I did to prove myself Im strong.

AFAIK if ALS, in very very very rare cases starts with twitches, those are constant and in one place...and if they are bodywide spread as a first symptom (which is almost impossible), weakness would follow very, very early. In a weeks or a few months.

I have the same as you - random twitches everywhere. I have also feeling of "quick tired" muscles but this condition is still the same and its common amng people with BFS (benign fasciculation syndome).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back