Just Back From Another Neuro Appt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zaphoon and Lydia, my husbands muscles are same as you described. It's really difficult for him to move around because he is so stiff. He has been taking baclofin for 1 year now to help with spasticity.

Just J,

I'm wondering how much the baclofen has helped your husband. I'm not on any medication. My spasticity is constant, mainly in the legs and it is something I just endure. The doc advised me against the meds for now.

Does your husband still work? I can't remember...

Kim

Kim, What have you tried E-stim? It helped me to relax my muscles before they atrophied.
Erica

Erica,

I haven't heard of E-stim. What is it - an over-the-counter med? I'm for anything that will help. I've tried this stuff called, "Leg Cramps" but I wasn't sure, given the results after taking it, if it was meant to induce or alleviate the cramps.

Kim

Kim, it's a physical therapy device providing electrical stimulation. It uses an electrical current to cause a single muscle or a group of muscles to contract. By placing electrodes on the skin in various locations the physical therapist can recruit the appropriate muscle fibers. Contracting the muscle via electrical stimulation helps strengthen the affected muscle. Along with increasing muscle strength, the contraction of the muscle also promotes blood supply to the area that assists in healing.
I got my from Empi company as a rental unit, my insurance covered the cost.
Kim do you have muscle atrophy in your shoulders?
Erica

Yes, I have muscle atrophy in my shoulders, particularly the teres minor.

I went to a chiropractor for a while and he was able to help me regain some lost motion and they used some kind of machine that did what you described regarding electrical current through the muscles.

The atrophy in the shoulders is what scared me the most into thinking I might have had ALS. The opinion of the clinic neurologist was that the atrophy was probably caused by something other than disease.

Now come you heard of E-Stim from Geo ,Me TENS/EMS . Remember me saying about going to Vital Stim Therapy ,they do the same thing but call it something else. You can buy your own machine as i did and do it whenever . Geo

They never told me what the name of the device or term for the therapy was. I just knew they glued a couple of rubber paddles to me that were hooked up to a little black box with a few knobs and dials on it. They set the thing for about 20 minutes and let me juice.

They would also turn the roller bed on while this was going on. I had to ask if the roller bed was supposed to be a pleasant experience (because it sure wasn't for me). The lady that was administering the therapy (all she did was hook me up and throw the switch) told me that most people enjoyed it.

Well, for a stiff guy, it was discomfort just this side of Hell.

Wife: "Where are you going, PZ?"

PZ: "To the chiropractic office for another round of torture."

PZ

new to support group but not to p l s. love your sense of humor!

Kim, my husband does still work only because he is in sales and is currently working "inside" sales from home. Unfortunately even that is becoming very challenging.

As for the baclofin, he can't do without it. It really does help reduce/minimize the spasms and cramps. My husband hates to take prescription medicine or even OTC pain relievers.

...There is a case of a man who was believed to have ALS and who was reduced to using a walker when he was found to actually have Lyme Disease. Typical Lyme tests can be deceptively wrong many times. This man had the most state of the art Lyme test and when he was found positive for Lyme, he was treated properly and recovered fully. If one waits too long to be diagnosed with Lyme the effects will become permanent.
I don't remember the actual name for this effective Lyme test...I remember the words...DNA, revolving or rotating...hey, Moderators...perhaps YOU know the name of this test...not every hospital is equipped to do this test...

Diane

Hi Kim

No change is great news! Keep up the good work!

this longtime pls er is 81 and still happy when i wake up, congratulations and keep up the good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back