Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
TR
City
Ankara
Previous thread

Sorry to disturb again. I have hypothyrodism, vitamin d and b12 deficiencies. Its been over a month since i started the treatments but i dont feel much different. Maybe more time is required or im not patient, i honesty dont know. I feel like i have a swollen tongue (edges touch my teeth) which is scalloped and still have this uncomfortable feeling in my throat like there is something there.

In my brain mri report, it says: "Brainstem elements are normal" Would this rule out bulbar als?

This is my question. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
An MRI does not rule out ALS.

But it does rule out things like tumors that it is important to know you do not have.

The reason we (and evidently your doctors) do not think you have ALS is that your symptoms are explained by your various other conditions, and even if not, do not resemble ALS.

You need not be afraid that you have it.

As for not feeling much different, it does take time to feel better when you are being treated for low thyroid and for nutritional deficiencies. But also, you can ask your doctor if you can change your diet to feel better faster and to stay better once you are.

Sometimes anxiety and not enough liquids can cause tongue and throat discomfort, so I would make sure you are drinking enough, as well, and that you are doing enough things that make you happy so as not to focus on your throat and tongue.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks for the reply lgelb. I mentioned mri because bulbar als is about the brainstem nerves. I know that emg is required for other types of als but i thought maybe bulbar could be different. So you say no. Ok then, thanks again. Wish all of you the best

MRI can't rule out ALS, but it can point to ALS with sometimes hypersignals of the pyramidal tracts and some other abnormalities, which you don't have.
Swollen or scalloped tongue does not relate to ALS in any way, while tongue atrophy and twitching does, which you don't have.
You're healthy, try to relax and enjoy the good time!

There is one last thing:

I dont have foot drop or anything, i can walk on my toes and my heels, i can walk normally but the annoying thing is that there is a very heavy, tired, uncomfortable, funny feeling at my right leg (especially the upper part) along with some pain i cant explain for 3 months and sometimes tingling at feet. I also feel these when the leg is in the rest position.

These feelings sometimes go away but they eventually come back. The funny thing is, when i take certain amounts of alcohol, all of these symptoms go away. This might be a stupid question but does consuming high amaounts of alcohol make neurological symptoms better, or make them go away?

I can button my shirt, write and lift objecs over 20-30 kg but my arms feel tired and they burn like hell. After doin these kind of stuff, i feel very tired, tired as i want to go to bed sometimes. I can barely move from my bed when i first wake up.

Im just hoping that my thyroid, vitamin d and b12 deficiencies are causing these symptoms. I would have visited a doctor again but i cant for a long time because of my work situation. Im at a different and much smaller city right now.

Edit: I forgot to ask the most important question. Does these kind of syptoms turn to clinical weaknesses by time in als or does clinical weaknesses like foot drop, wrist drop, paralyse etc. occur suddenly in this disease? By the way im male, 37 years old

Last edited:
Update: I began to take magnesium pills since my last message and most things are back to normal now. im so sorry to disturb people here and i can clearly see i did a good job about that by not getting any answers. i wish everyone will get better, thats all my power. i will be on my way and sorry again.

I am very happy that you feel better! Thank you for letting us know!

Sometimes you don’t get answers if it is clearly not ALS not from disturbing us ( you were not horribly persistent or annoying) but because of limited energy and time.

Have a long and healthy life!

Best

Thank you veyy much

You can close this. im embessed enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back