Other
Country
UK
State
Bath
City
Bristol
Hi there everyone,

I'm a little bit nervous to post this, naturally, and do want to say I hope I'm not upsetting anyone in doing so. The people on here seem absolutely amazing and I'd be appreciative of anyone to give me their personal opinion on this. Thank you so much in advance.

Most recently I've been experiencing some odd things. To name a few, my left hand is weirdly stiff along with that arm and my left leg feeling weaker than my right side. Occasionally t

his will get a numb feeling/pins and needles or a sore pain. Uncontrollable shakiness can happen at times too. At the same time, I feel as though I have a lump or something tight stuck in my throat and around the neck (I don't). I've had weak feelings in that arm and leg before (in 2018) which came and went frequently. I saw a doctor who didn't really have much to say about it. They mainly put it down to anxiety.

I wouldn't necessarily call myself a hypochondriac, but it would be fair to say I am currently anxious. The reason why I am posting is because it has been far more obvious and pervasive than it has before. I am currently a scuba diver in training and it hasn't bothered me so far.

I see a chiropractor for my other shoulder (that I partially dislocated) and he frequently loosens my tight back muscles and hasn't pointed out anything out of the ordinary. It might be worth noting I can stretch and move the arm/leg. I can kick and punch (I'm a martial artist) - it's just the left is more weaker, it definitely feels it - particularly with grips.

I'm a little bit concerned and distressed by these feelings, especially when I wake up in the mornings and the feelings are most prevalent. I have been able to eat/drink as normal, though my appetite is minimal, and my speech is fine except I'm slightly husky (though could be dry air from diving.) The only other things I can think to report are - my vision gets odd spots at times, I can find it hard to focus randomly and I am pretty tired (though I also have depression).

If possible, I would like to know if this sounds like ALS/something serious. I totally appreciate it can't be as conclusive as the doctors, but I would like a second opinion at this time as I can't get an appointment until two weeks and I have a feeling they will say the same as before. It could be nothing, and I hope there's no harm in asking on here.

Once again, thank you so much for your time and I hope you all have a great evening (from the UK)
Amy

Last edited by a moderator:
You mentioned “feeling weaker”, numbness and tingling, odd sensations. Nothing in your post suggests ALS. ALS is about failing, not feeling. A good physical exam from your primary care physician should be sufficient to identify anything concerning. But I’d not be worried about ALS here.

Please read this if you haven’t done so already:

https://www.alsforums.com/forum/do-...-common-concerns-about-possible-symptoms.html

Not sure what to make of this

Hiya,

I'll keep this brief. Very recently my fingers have been feeling incredibly stiff. I can straighten them fine, but if I put one finger down (for example my pinky) my ring finger bends down and I can't get it to go back up/straight. I don't know if this has anything to do with possible ALS, I really do hope not. The joints just feel stiff and feel slightly awkward to move them. If I curl my fingers up into a fist, I can make it tight enough to feel a slight bit of pain, but still don't feel very strong. I tested grip and hand strength with my friend who said they were both still really strong, even though they feel weaker to me. But I do trust her. Would anyone please be able to give their opinion on this please? It's really worrying me at the moment. I'm 19, too.

Thank you so much everyone and best wishes,
Amy

Hi Amy- I've moved this post to your already open thread. If you could keep posting here it helps members see everything in one place.

Karen's advice still stands. If you're still feeling anxious about symptoms, reread the "Read Before Posting" thread and visit with your family doctor. An ALS forum really isn't the place to be for you, as Karen stated above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back