Reason
Other
Country
UK
State
Cornwall
City
Truro
Hi guys I have just joined and like a lot of others I have been very worried over the last 2 weeks about being ill with Als. As a young man with 2 young children to be struck down with something such as Als is terrifying. I like many went on line when feeling unwell and have seen a lot of things I probably didn't want to see or read. My symptoms and the moment seem to be a lot of twitching in the calf,thigh and triceps and I'm walking funny on my right foot, like it's slightly out of sink with the rest of me and also the 3 fingers on the outside of my right hand feel out of place like they don't belong or feel natural on the and seem to get in the way a lot. I have been to the doctors once a few weeks ago before a lot of these signs flared up and he signs it's probably from to much work. I have since taken it easy but seem to be worse now. I have read the stickies and am still not sure what direction to go it with this. Any advice, help fully appreciated thanks for your time

Nothing sounds like ALS. Twitches can be anything or nothing at all. Anyway, that not how twitches work in ALS. Walking funny on your right foot could be a sign of a thousand simple things. ALS doesn't strike the hands and feet at the same time. Plus, in ALS, we don't "feel" funny at all, we just suddenly lose the use of a muscle, usually a foot. Doesn't sound at all like ALS to me.

We can't diagnose you here. Although we're really smart about ALS, that's our only specialty. Sorry.

Thanks for taking the time to write back. The term "funny" was a poor choice my apologise. It's more I'm carrying the foot up like I don't trust it to not trip me up. Ie I'm tightening my calf to keep the toe up from catching.

wait till your about 39. it's going to hit you hard. it's the part of getting old.

go to the dr's if you have something going on. i know you don't want dr dave here taking out your tonsils.

if there is something wrong you need to be tested. you ant going get that on a form

I went the other day but like I said it has changed since being there so might be worth timing to explain and maybe see him again. The thing with the foot is that I have full movement in it it's not like it just hangs there but when I walk it goes down and up strange and I can notice the difference.

dr's wont stop till they find something. if they seen sings of als or anything. they will test for it. i don't talk to much to the dr's about what it could be, i wait and let them tell me.

you got to let the dr's do there job. if this one doesn't seem like there do anything, there is more out there. when i got my walking papers. i didn't stop at dr to get there. it might came over my mind what i had but im not a dr.

don't stop seeing them tell they can tell what's up. it can be something so easy and go so bad by not seeing them.

The things like the twitching are quite small I don't think it happens a lot and is only for a 2nd or so nothing constant. The fingers on the outside of my right hand seem a lot worse early in the morning.bmy foot is the concern I can walk fine on it and go up and down the stairs well it just I notice I'm not walking the same on it as the left foot. Especially as I work in the outdoors on some rougher terrain.

>wait till your about 39

or 59!

lol max am 54 and everything you can think of just about hit me at 39 but this als thing

DOG: There are a lot of things you might have, but ALS is hardly likely. Take that off your list. Just see your doctor.

May God bless you and keep you close to His heart.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. Appreciate the time you have taken, those ages seem pretty good to me! I have a 3 1/2 year old son and my daughter is 1 on Monday so I'm very emotional and anxious about it although I'm just not to be and just cracking on with everyday life.woke up this morning and the fingers were still stiff and my walking is still unusual so doesn't seem it's going to leave just on it's own. I'm no medic just looking for answers. Maybe I need to look on the brighter side!

Rang the doc but missed him so guess it's wait till Monday now. If anybody has any useful knowledge on foot drop I would appreciate to hear about it as that's the main worry with me. If it was a genuine drop how bad would I be walking what would the control of my foot and ankle be? It's been with me for about a week now. Regards M.D .

Sorry about your issues dog.

You have been clearly answered that what you experiencing sounds nothing like ALS. Please stop saying thank you but ...

Please go spend the weekend with your 2 children, stop obsessing about a terminal illness, stay off the internet and promise yourself you won't come back to this site until it's to tell us your doctor worked at it until the issue was found and resolved.

Have a wonderful life with those precious children, that's where every moment of your focus needs to be!

Esp. if sx unilateral on R side, see neuro, maybe myelopathy or pressure palsies. Also revisit your sleeping position/mattress. Certainly doesn't sound neuromuscular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back