Diagnosis
11/2015
Country
US
State
Over the rainbow
City
Somewhere
I'm curious what things others have done.

I don't write(physically pick up a pen) much

My mother passed away from cancer a few years ago and I love looking back at things she wrote and to see her handwriting. So it makes me think that I need to start writing to my girls.

I've also thought about starting a caringbridge or blog online. I like how caringbridge can limit who has access, tasks needed, and also that it can be saved to pdf. I'm not sure that I want to invest time and money into creating a blog but is it really hard? I'm not sure. Or maybe a facebook page?

I plan to start handwriting as much as I can, but I know there will come a time I can't physically do it anymore. So I would like to look at online options and maybe start doing both. I get asked daily by numerous people how I am, when is the next dr appointment..etc.. This would be a good way to update everyone.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thank you,

Last edited by a moderator:
when you mentioned getting started handwriting for your girls it reminded me that I only have a couple pieces of my Mom's handwriting. They are for my favorite recipes that she used to make. There is a double blessing there when I take them out and remember... I truly do cherish them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Start very soon and write a lot.

I bought my wife a beautiful leather-bound journal shortly after she was diagnosed. After she died, I opened it and saw three pages. The first was a letter of love dedicated to me. The next two pages were addressed to each of our children, but were totally empty of content. She could no longer write. I was so sad, I haven't told our kids.

Journal writing is sharing your soul. It's an act of love. Do it while you can. It could make a difference to your family.

Since my ALS started in my dominant hand, I have been unable to write for several years. But I can still speak and using a program called Dragon speak to dictate to. I have a Bluetooth headset and all I have to do is start the program and talk. I do a blog for the local newspaper. Also, in the first couple years of diagnosis I did keep a journal which helped me sort out some of my feelings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back