Diagnosis
09/2010
Country
TH
State
Phuket
City
Patong
There was a thread running where he was explaining why he planned to disconnect his ventilator on January 31st. I have searched to find out what happened but not found anything. I was no presume he had a change of heart?

I read one thread that I believe was something about the laws in Canada and he is not allowed to disconnect or it is considered suicide. Not sure, though.

Catcaniac is right. It is illegal at least in British Columbia.

But shouldn't that be the person choice and not the government? Its sad and I'm glad he didn't go through with it.

I am glad he is still with us. I saw him posting and am very glad he is still with us.

Joel has been an enormous inspiration for Hal and me. Not only his generally encouraging, practical, and very helpful postings, but his links and massive library of useful information. What an organized mind he has!

I totally understand that life with ALS is very very challenging - and even someone who "has it all together", like Joel, has to struggle. But I am very very relieved that Joel is willing and able to go on. His recent postings, as before, have continued to be an inspiration.

Thank you Joel!

It is legal all across Canada. It is not considered suicide to disconnect a vent. There is however a lot of red tape to do it, everyone wants to talk you out of it.

Thank you all!

Thank You Joel!

Well put Barry! I concur Thank You Joel!

It is illegal everywhere I think but you can't go to jail for it well because your not around. So how can someone get into trouble. I'm just glad you are still around.

Joel, Glad your hanging in there. May the Lord continue to walk each day with you until He says it's time to go home.

Sandy- I see what you are saying, but not all folks still have the ability to disconnect themselves. That leaves it to a loved one. Which, if it is illegal, could very well lead to jail time.
I am also very very glad that Joel is still here. Yay for you Joel! I love ya.

Joel, know you're in my thoughts and prayers. I always look for you when it seems you'd be in your office!
Ann xoxo

I have found out that you can disconnect soemone on life support, including a vent. It needs to be done in a certain way however. If you were to just do it as a loved one, you would not be prosecuted. However, it could be super difficult for a period explaining things. Versus if you go through the proper procedures, then you can simply call hte funeral home and have them remove your loved one's body when it's all said and done. You also can get proper meds and such to help out your loved one with the transition.

joelc, though I am not PALS, in the times of terrible anxiety when I was fearing the worst, I always thought of you and Mike and said to myself your motto: als does not have to fatal. You are so inspiring...maybe for more people than you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back