Reason
CALS
Country
ca
State
ontario
City
sarnia
Its taken me a while to come on here to let anyone and everyone that knew jim know that he passed away. Jim loved to write posts that would make everyone laugh, himself included, he always put alot of thought and effort into coming up with the most hilarious stories.

Jim Oliver passed away April 7 2008 after an 8 year battle with ALS. Jim passed away at home very peacefully with his daughter and myself at his side. Jim was an inspiration to many with his sense of humor, attitude and his love of life. I spent the last 16 months caring for jim,( I came back into his life after being high school sweethearts) we were lovers, best friends, confidants, I was his caretaker,(and for those who have read his posts) I was his ball scratcher and nose picker too. :-D
Jim will be missed dearly by all who knew him personally and as an online friend.

Shirley Mccabe

So sorry to hear of your loss.

Sharonca

Shirley,

I'm very sorry to hear about Jim.

Glad you were able to re-connect with him and care for him! You are very special.

Wish you and his daughter well...

Even though I do not recall sharing posts with Jim, I am treating him with the utmost love and respect. May he rest in peace, and may our Father give you peace and comfort. God bless!

Irma

Shirley, you have lost a great guy and I am sorry. I think he was the last guy still here from when I first signed on. He ,Carol, TBear and I used to joke a lot about Carol's red bikini. He helped me tthrough some hard times at the start of my symptoms. Thanks for letting me know.
AL.

Shirley,
I'm so sorry about Jim's passing away. What an incredible sense of humor! Being fairly new here -joined March 2008- I didn't get to participate in posting while JimO was posting, but I've taken the time to read some of his posts and he was hilarious! We all could use some of that humor every day.
Here are a few posts that made me laugh out loud:

11/21/2004
All in a day

"Where does the time go?
For not doing anything the days sure seem filled.
Let's see day usually starts around 7 with a few lifts and turns I'm transferred into my day time spot ready to start my 12-14 hr job I have as a PALS ,you know the one I mean as home security guard making sure no one steals the television. Before I know it, its time for the daily briefing ( the morning news) then the morning meetings start you know the ones I mean 9am it's with Regis and Kelly,10am it's Ellen D.,11am it's the ageless Bob B.and some how with all these meetings I have to squeeze in some time for the home worker to spruce me up making me handsome for the day .
After a busy morning like that I usually need a bit of recovery time (a nap) so with the soothing sounds of the tube feeding machine and bi-pap machine buzzing I get some rest ready for the afternoon shift. Thanks to the satellite meetings with Oprah comes at 1 or 2 depending on is recovery time running over time, a little mind work with Alex T.and Vanna W. and before I know it school is out and it seems like half the school is running around my house and apparently children can't hear my speech device (the dynamyte) either that or kids just don't listen these days lol either way it's wasted energy so I try to stay low key during wild time.
After a bit of family time and online fun and since there is no NHL I must become a primetime crime fighter ,thanks to all the csi's ,law&orders, nypd blues I get to solve 2 or 3 murders every night. Of course we can't forget to come back to reality for a bit when I try to pick The Appreciate trying to be the soul Survivor during The Amazing Race back to the Big Brother house to do an Extreme Make-over all before my nightly joy ride on the ceiling lift into bed to finish my day with the nightly briefing(news)and falling asleep listening to buddies David L.or Jay L.
Pretty exciting days I don't know how I had time to do all the things I use to do.
Ok seriously its not exciting but it does keep the mind busy to a point and after dealing with ALS for 4 yrs now I've found one of the problems is not occupying the mind, because for me if I'm just sitting that's when depression,frustration and other not so helpful thoughts arise. No I'm trying to deny this I've accepted what is happening to me and what is to come but dwelling on it isn't the best thing either so since I can't look forward to the weekend golfing with the buddies it's looking forward to things like new movie release Tuesdays and spending time online talking to friends, e-mailing and reading all the stuff here which helps even thou I don't write much but I imagine it's the same for other PALS and CALS reading what others are posting is lots more helpful than reading articles so I'm glad people are posting here.
Yes I still get out once in a while like I made it to the ALS symposium a few weeks ago, it was a lot of work but well worth it meeting others dealing with this and if anyone I met there reads this (HI)
Anyway I better stop this novel just thought I'd share a bit of a life of 1 PALS and maybe a different look at the day ."

===========================================

8/15/2006
I was a victim, be careful

BEER !
Police are warning all men who frequent clubs, parties and local pubs to be alert and stay cautious when offered a drink from any woman. Many females use a date rape drug on the market called "Beer."
The drug is found in liquid form and is available anywhere. It comes in bottles, cans, or from taps and in large "kegs."
Beer is used by female sexual predators at parties and bars to persuade their male victims to go home and sleep with them. A woman needs only to get a guy to consume a few units of beer and then simply ask him home for no
strings attached sex.
Men are rendered helpless against this approach After several beers, men will often succumb to the desires to sleep with horrific looking women whom they would never normally be attracted. After drinking beer, men often awaken with only hazy memories of exactly what happened to them the night before, often with just a vague feeling that "something bad" occurred.
At other times these unfortunate men are swindled out of their life's savings, in a familiar scam known as "a
relationship." In extreme cases, the female may even be shrewd enough to entrap the unsuspecting male into a longer term form of servitude and punishment referred to as "marriage." Men are much more susceptible to this scam after
beer is administered and sex is offered by the predatory females.
Please! Forward this warning to every male you know. If you fall victim to this "Beer" scam and the women administering it, there are male support groups where you can discuss the details of your shocking encounter with similarly victimized men. For the support group nearest you, just look up "GOLF COURSE'S" in the phone book.

take care all
Jim Oliver"

=============================================

8/30/2006
I just can't decide?

"I just can't decide,
after dealing with ALS for almost 6 years now I just can't decide what I miss more( as a male ); Picking my nose or Scratching my balls? ?
Granted I no longer drive so the mandatory nose pick at Stop signs isn't a problem nor am I running around being active to get jock itch ,but every so often the male urge to itch/pick just for the sake of it comes over me and then I just can't decide what I miss more? As I would probably enjoy it I'm not up to asking the nurse (hey if you're not too busy would you mind scratching my *)
Oh Well the urges usually pass soon and I continue on with life as a pals,

Just looking on the lighter side of life lol
Take Care

Jim Oliver"

============================================

IN HONOR OF JIM OLIVER
Who knew how to find humor when all was not well and make others laugh.

All the best to you, Shirley. It's great you came back into his life and helped him to a peaceful departure. I'm sorry it was such a short time that you had together after re-entering his life, but I hope you can find peace too.
Jane

Shirley- thanks for letting us know about Jim. I am sorry for your loss. Feel free to join us anytime. We will miss him too. Cindy

Well this was so funny, thanks for digging this out! Freddie and I laughed, he said he especially know about the solving of several murders a day, but for some strange reason he loves 'Little House on the Prairie"I haven't seen him laugh in a long time...
What a wonderful man, I know you will miss him...Our hearts go out to you..
Freddie and Annette Everett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back