Diagnosis
03/2017
Country
US
State
MA
City
Grafton
Lately I'm having a lot of involuntary jaw clenching. Does anyone know if this is just stress or if it is another random UMN thing? I have a LOT of cramps, over-active reflexes, spasticity etc. Is this another thing like that, or just stress induced?

The reason I ask is because I think I am just done with gabapentin. I want to go forward with mexilitine. Im also going to ask if I need to increase my baclofen. Lately everything is acting up. I want to know if this is one more thing a med adjustment could help with.

Was supposed to have clinic today, and I have a lot of these questions for my neuro, but she's out sick so I will only get to see pulmonary today.

My husband has this also. He gets botox to help but doesn't make it stop completely.

It could be either, or a bit both. I have jaw clenching (I am primarily UMN) that is always present, but is definitely worse with, surprise, excitement, strong emotions, stress or pressure.

Baclofen can have paradoxical effect- it can make spasticity worse. Not the case for everyone, but if you've recently increased your dose of Baclofen to no effect, or continued increase of spasticity, it's a possibility. (Don't just stop taking it though, you have to back down the dose slowly)

Sorry you won't have the full resources of your clinic today- especially if you've been saving up questions.

Very possibly spasticity, Chris had a lot of this when the bulbar symptoms were taking off, and it's particularly awful in the jaw. I hope you can find a mixture of meds that will control it well xx

I have this and the biggest thing that helps is pot. The worst is when I bite my tongue. The more I try to relax my jaw the tighter it gets. We have a taped spoon we use to pry my jaw open.

thanks, even though I couldnt see neuro today the NP said she wanted to try a slightly baclofen dose increase. I have been on the same fairly low dose (10mg 3x daily) for about a year, so I agreed with tryng that as a first step, meanwhile she is forwarding that and my other concerns to my neuro on Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back