Diagnosis
10/2003
Country
CA
State
On
City
NW of Toronto
I have read the play and the lead character Katherine has ALS.
AL.

Jane Fonda to Return to Broadway
Jane Fonda

Two-time Academy Award winner Jane Fonda will return to Broadway next year in a new play penned by Moisés Kaufman.

Fonda will star in Kaufman's 33 Variations, which is scheduled to open on Broadway in winter 2009. Playwright Kaufman will also direct.

David Binder (A Raisin in the Sun) will present the Tectonic Theatre Project's production of 33 Variations. Additional casting, creative team and a theatre will be announced at a later date.

In a statement Fonda said, "I am very excited about being in Moisés' new play. I can't wait to get back on stage with him in this role that I understand so well. It's been 40-some years!" Kaufman added, "I am delighted to be working with one of America's greatest actresses, a performer of such insight, intellect and heart. For Tectonic Theater Project, this piece is the culmination of an investigation into the creative life of Beethoven, and Ms. Fonda is the perfect person to lead us on that journey."

33 Variations, according to press notes, "tells the story of Beethoven's fascination with a trivial waltz, and the modern-day musicologist Katherine Brandt (Jane Fonda) who sets out to discover the root of his obsession. As Beethoven's indisputable genius and delightful humanity come to life on the sheet music in front of her, Katherine not only reveals the true nature of his gift, but also comes to embrace the beauty and legacy of her own life." The production features an on-stage pianist.

Jane Fonda was nominated for a Tony Award for her performance in There Was a Little Girl and was also seen on Broadway in Invitation to a March, The Fun Couple and Strange Interlude. She won Academy Awards for her performances in "Coming Home" and "Klute." Fonda was also Oscar-nominated for her roles in "The Shoot Horses, Don't They?," "Julia," "The China Syndrome," "On Golden Pond" and "The Morning After."

Moisés Kaufman was nominated for a Tony Award for his direction of I Am My Own Wife. 33 Variations will mark his Broadway debut as a playwright.

33 Variations was developed in association with Arena Stage and played pre-Broadway tryouts at Arena Stage and the La Jolla Playhouse.

Brilliant director!

I had the immense pleasure of seeing Kaufman's "I Am My Own Wife" in New York City a couple of years ago and was moved to tears by the amazing performance. It is truly a moving play and this new one sounds like it will be another stunning piece of theater. Also, it will probably bring some extra exposure to ALS which can't hurt!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back