Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
WI
City
Madison
Hi my name is Jonathan Hoag and I am co-founder of an assistive technology startup whose mission is to provide easy and complete access to mobile devices for people who have limited upper body mobility.

We recently launched Jabberwocky, a free Android app that controls your entire phone or tablet with just head movement. You can email, browse the internet, watch videos and use any existing app on the device without ever touching the screen.

Jabberwocky requires an Android device that supports Google's ARCore (developers.google.com/ar/discover/supported-devices). If you cannot install on your device, please confirm your device is on this list.

[mod note: company sells paid software as well so note the above software is "free for now"]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mr. Hoag,
I'm always interested in new ways to interact with my devices. Thanks for the message regarding your application, I really appreciate it. I currently access my Pixel 3 android on my Surface Pro via the Vysor application. The Surface Pro pc uses the EnableViacam software for complete hands free control. I can control all my home automation including 2, 4 channel sonoff switches which I have wired into my power recliner to allow full control of my seating position.
This has been a very reliable setup. My pixel is left unlocked and I'm using the USB connection to the surface pro. I can wake up and even restart the phone all from the surface pro, hands free. I like your idea, as it would be more direct control of the phone, and would probably be a lot better for scrolling (touch screen type moves) The problem for me would be unlocking/waking up the phone, as my speech is getting worse and voice unlock isn't usable. Luckily my head movement is still going good. How do you think your application will work when used with the Pixel 4 and the new face unlock? (will it just stay awake as long as I am in front of it??) Another possibility would be to leave the phone on continuously ( root required ??). This would be hard on the Amoled display.... Anyway thanks for your efforts, Jim

Jabberwocky will work with the Pixel 4 and Pixel 3. It does not work well with face unlock, but there are some simple ways to get past the lock screen with Jabberwocky. Keeping the device to always stay awake is somewhat device specific, we are working on universal ways to keep it on all the time.

Jabberwocky is an accessibility service that you enable on the Android device, so it is always running as long the device is awake. The problem being that many devices require some sort of physical touch to wake a device and get it to the lock screen. Once at the lock screen, though, the head tracking cursor will be enabled so that you can enter a pin using the cursor (unfortunately the front facing camera for head tracking cannot be used in conjunction with the new face unlock yet... we're looking into it) and unlock the device.

To address the device going to sleep problem there are a few options:
  • Prevent the device from going to sleep (as long as its charging):
    • Settings > Display > Sleep set to Never (not available on all Android versions)
    • Enable Settings > Developer options > Stay awake (requires unlocking developer options on your device)
    • How do I prevent Android from going to sleep?
  • Use Voice Wakeup for Sleeping devices:
If you want, you can also just disable the lock screen to avoid any hassle after waking the device up:
  • Settings > Lock Screen > Screen Lock Type set to None
As an aside, Jabberwocky can be used in conjunction with any AAC or Text-To-Speech app on Android as well if speech is also something you want assistance with.

The app will work with your Pixel 3 if you'd like to try it out. We would love any feedback you could provide.
Thanks,
-Jonathan

Thanks for the quick response, Jonathan. I never thought to look in the developer options. It's already enabled for using Vysor. I will try to give it a try in the coming weeks, Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back