Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
SD
City
Sioux Falls
Back in 2001, I developed fasciculations in my right foot, which soon after spread throughout my body. Had 3 emg's in a year's time, and nothing came of that, and was diagnosed with generalized fasciculations.

So, here it is 12 years later, and I've decided to get a new neuro consultation and hoping that another emg is done.

I'm a daily marijuana smoker.. Sometimes I really can't shake the feeling that my muscle twitching is benign. My brain is sometimes convinced that the marijuana has kept more serious symptoms at bay? I still have generalized fasciculations, but no cramping or weakness that I can tell. The fasciculations are less in frequency and in less places than they were to begin with.

Has anyone had similar experience in so far as long-term muscle fasciculations developing into MND? Also, I wonder if any reputable trials have taken place using canibanoids or using marijuana?

Also, I wonder if the key to turning off ALS might be in some sort of grounding of the body in the electrical sense.. legs and body feel like battery acid.

I think you need to worry more about the marijuana use than anything. Long time use can cause all sorts of problems with the thought process and paranoia.

@DavidL:

If you've been smoking weed daily, I would check that if I were you.
Cannabis interacts directly with the CNS and might be causing some of the symptoms you are experiencing.
Furthermore, if you are experiencing body wide muscle twitching, that alone would point away from ALS/MND as the latter never manifests itself as body wide twitching. It starts with 1) weakness, 2) fasciculations, and ends up with 3) atrophy.

Good luck to you.

Your fasciculations started in 2001. Clearly it's not ALS.

You are much more likely to die of lung cancer than a rare neurolgical disorder.

Also, I wonder if the key to turning off ALS might be in some sort of grounding of the body in the electrical sense.. legs and body feel like battery acid.

Legs and body feel like battery acid? What does that mean? Are you on Pot?:mrgreen:

Thanks for the replies. Seems like the evidence to the efficacy of cannibanoids/ marijuana is starting to emerge, most recently with cancer treatment. Just the other day, CNN had a story with Dr. Sonjay Gupta about successes using the drug.

I'm pretty confident that my feelings on the "pot" subject will be vindicated sometime soon.

Anyway, I've had a thunderstorm in my muscles for 12 years, and for whatever reason, lately I've been a little concerned about it again.

I've got an appt. coming beginning of September, and I'll be sure to pass on any interesting findings. :p

Hope ya'll have a great day!

Ahh, thanks for the replies! And, I'm pretty confident that my feelings on the healing properties of marijuana will be vindicated in the near future. :razz:

Sonjay Gupta had an interesting segment on cancer treatment with marijuana this past weekend on CNN.

So, yeah, I've had an electrical storm in my muscles for the past 12 years, and it's pretty annoying.. I'll let you all know if anything interesting comes out've my neuro appt in Sept.

Hope you all have a great day!

Go away David!

there have been studies concerning pot and ALS and I guarantee you, if it was a cure we would all be smoking it daily too! plenty of pals have tried it and use it and some do think that it can alleviate symptoms to some degree--not heal. it has to be ingested, as a pals could not smoke for sure.

However, you do not have ALS so your claim that it cures ALS is not valid. a joint a day does not keep the doctor away...

Thanks for the entertainment everyone. lol

Barbie, I wasn't implying that cannabis could cure als, but that studies have indicated it is neuroprotective. So, being relatively young, and still imbibing, that it was possible that a disease process could take time to happen to me. About my legs feeling like battery acid, it just feels like when my fasciculations are worse, that my legs and body feel high in ph level.

Before my neuro symptoms, I had had facial surgery and suturing of my mouth area, had been stressing my brain with lots of mountain biking. Also, and I'm sure this will get a rise from a few, was jailed for an offense for which I had already served the sentence, and was put into extreme stress for a time. I understand that als is possibly related to extreme, acute stress.

Please people, I'm not advocating for pot, nor a dealer or a criminal, just a person who's being honest and posing a question. I've never known a person to smoke more cigarettes, nor drink as much vodka as my dear mother, but she's also imbibed through her life, and had a slight abnormality on a recent pap and mammogram, but after testing found there to be no cancer. Again, not trying to promote, but also don't feel it's fair to judge me harshly because of my honesty.

I sell tattoo equipment and ink as a niche business (I have no tattoos) when I'm not doing customer service for a medical supply company. I've done my share of good for the world, please, I'm just human here and wonder why my body does what it does, and if I'm any different physiologically today than I was 10+ years ago. I posed a simple question to anyone who had had years of fasciculation activity, and wondered if it happens! Thanks!

David,

I said 'go away' because of your 'Now I have the munchies' post. Maybe I should be more compassionate, probably not. It's like Barbie said, if any of us thought cannabis would slow or stop the progression of this disease, we would all be eating pot brownies every morning, noon, and night, believe me! If you're not advocating for it, why do you keep talking about it on this forum?

While medicinal marijuana may have it's place, most people with als have great difficulty breathing, much less smoking. Ingesting THC is not being studied in any ALS research that I am aware of, other than your own.

I have a few polite suggestions:

1) if you're really worried about your health, see your Dr., take his advice and treat him as if he was the professional (because he is!).

2) stop smoking pot (maybe this should be #1).

3) stop turning your battery acid and fasciculations into ALS!

4) if you want to consult Dr. Google, look up BFS (benign fasciculation syndrome).

5) See your Neuro on Saturday.....and listen to what he tells you!

6) Come back if you're diagnosed with als or mnd.

Good luck.

Hi David, I have given a lot of thought about using pot. My caregiver wants me to try it. What can it hurt. There is very little medical evidence that it slow the progression of ALS. With my luck my caregiver will come home to find me spinning around in my wheelchair lol

I just recently did a paper on medicinal cannibas very interesting I say it can't hurt & may definatly help do the research yourself though it is easy to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back