its been almost a year since I lost my uncle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcknz_wilson

Reason
PALS
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Toronto
I lost my uncle in September 2005 to ALS, and my family and I have taken it very hard, and continue to grieve.
My uncle was a brain surgeon in Chicago before ALS ended his career. He loved to fish, and in university had been a star quarterback. He was a wonderful man, and when he got his disease I never truly thought it would take his life.
Because he lived in Chicago and the rest of his family lived in Toronto, every summer for a week or two he would travel up to the cottage on Georgian Bay, where my entire family has cottages. It was always a treat when uncle Larry came up to visit, as we all adored him and loved seeing him. Once he got ALS every summer he got worse and worse, and last summer it was clear that he was very sick. It was around this time in July that I last saw and spoke with my uncle. I was supposed to visit him in August but because of work conflicts I never made it down to see him...unfortunately I will regreat that decision because my dear uncle died that September.
I am still finding it incrediably hard to get over the loss of my uncle. and I am still brought to tears whenever his name is even mentioned(I even cry as I write this post)
I was just wondering if anyone who has experienced the death of a loved one to this horrible disease could offer some advice to girl who was devestated by this loss, and is still finding it impossible to get over the loss of a loved one.

take care.

Turn grief to something positive

Dear mskz, I have ALS and I sympathize with your loss. From your description, we all lost a great man when your uncle died. I've had many losses that make no sense: 19 year-old son, 26 year-old brother, Beloved sister-in-law at 52. We grieve but go on. Our loved ones are gone but we're still here. We are part of their legacy. We need to make our lives count--even more than before. We can draw strength from their memories. When I am reunited with my son, I want him to give me a big hug & say "You did good Mom!"
No one should have to go through what your uncle & all the family went through. It is a cruel disease & it brings little comfort to hear how it seems to attack the sweetest, most intelligent, nicest people. It's time for a cure!
I really care about what you're still feeling. A loss is not like an illness you can just "get over." There are stages & if we don't get stuck on anger, bitterness, & loss, we come out stronger & better with an even deeper appreciation for the preciousness of every day (and a new set of values about what really matters in life). I send you my love, with a big hug & hope something I've said helps you. Mollye

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back