Learn about ALS
Country
MX
State
Ciudad de Mexico
City
Ciudad de Mexico
Hi everyone

My name is Alan Rodriguez,I'm 26 years old, I'm Mexican and currently living in the country's capital.

I've read the obligatory post to read before creating a thread, i do this to know your opinion and to be heard more than for my peace of mind, i hope I'm not breaking any rules.

I want to tell you my history these past months and my symptoms.

Some things to consider:

• I suffered from depression for 5 years, currently off meds by authorization from my therapist.
  • In December 2016 i was assaulted by a certain individual, got hit several times in the face. By medical review i had nothing serious except a broken pinky finger in my left side, i say this just for the case of some unnoticed damage to my head.
  • I got myself into boxing a few months after that so , some more knocks to the head.
  • Pain on both of my sides, just under the ribs.
  • May/June 2017 while training, i noticed some slight pain in the backside of my left thigh, barely noticeable, i brushed it off as not warming up enough.
  • Did some weight training in my home, using a 55 lbs. barbell , did only dead lifts and squats, so using my back most of the time.
  • June 2017, i had unprotected sex with a girl, from which i got an infection, trough the rest of the year the issue went mostly away with medical attention although i still have some issues.
  • November 2017 the pain in my left tigh has spread trough the whole leg and the low end of my back, the pain just comes from the backside so i suspect sciatica.
  • I begin limping slightly on my left leg, my family notices my left leg it's noticeable atrophied, id say a little less half the size than the right one, left butt cheek practically gone.
  • The limping its gone after a few weeks, i wasn't walking in a right manner so after correcting it i walk normally again.

• Begging December 2017, i noticed some pain in my left's hand middle and ring fingers while holding my phone, just noticeable while gripping/holding something with strength.

I was living on my own for the first time in my life, but had to get back to living with my mom, it's been bittersweet, but right now being close to my family is pure gold to me.

I went trough a couple different doctors a while ago, after having pain urinating and noticing my urine was brown/orange in tone (and still is),
took antibiotics, and was never suspected of having a std by any of the doctors. I still have pain in my penis, and while urinating from time to time.

I only make these points clear to not dismiss any underlying cause to what im going trough, and for you to have some background on my situation. I know is a lot of reading and maybe its not relevant, but i thank you dearly for going trough it. ...

That was an stressful time for me, as i was fearing having something serious, and my suspected sciatica was really acting up at the time.

So at the end of April 2017, i woke up one Saturday with a strong pain in my neck, originating from my left shoulder blade, the muscle in that area of my back had swollen up, i notice some tingling sensation coming down my left arm all the way to my fingers. Alongside a hurtful sore throat.

Some days later while in bed, i was looking at my phone, i started shaking, seeing my hands clearly shaking i got up to notice my body doing the same, i freaked out. That night my pinky and index finger in my left hand were twitching wildly.

The following night , i woke up abruptly in the middle of the night, feeling terrified and confused, made my way to the bathroom as i felt a strong need to look at my face, as i swear i felt lost and needed reassurance that i was myself. If that makes sense;Next couple of days, i felt mentally numb as if under the effect of anesthetics.

The following weeks i had wide arrange of symptoms: the tingling begging in my left arm spread trough my entire body, turning to pins and needles some days later, that were hurtful, then going back to just tingling, a weakness in my left arm that came and went, shortness of breath, numbness on the left side of my face that turned to numbness in the whole face, a "burning" sensation in my neck and forehead if touched or grazed it'd hurt, a strong heartbeat just enough for me to feel it, pain in the front side of both thighs along with the muscles feeling really tight, abdominal pain,stomachache like gastritis alongside a couple more symptoms.

The symptom that concerned me the most was muscle twitching, starting in my legs and back then just noticeable when doing some moderate physical activity e.g going for a walk, after relaxing, my legs would just fire off, twitching a lot all over my legs, then i would barely notice it.

So i go to a doctor, a GP, i did tell her my symptoms and her conclusion was: Anxiety, ordered some x-rays for my back problems as she thought i had some pinched nerves or misaligned spine.

After this i go to a chiropractor who tells me that definitely i don't have sciatica as it doesn't show in the x-rays, that i have stiffness in my whole body, and that my posture and overall body is moderately misaligned. I'm currently under treatment.

Finally i go to an internist/neurologist, i tell him the same tale i just told to you, does a general examination, and some weird test with my arms. His conclusion is: I don't have any signs of a serious disease, nor MS nor ALS. He ordered a MRI to be certain about my back's issues and another test for my urinary problems. On muscle anti-inflammatory drugs and Pregabalin.

These tests will be made in a couple of weeks.

This is the stage I'm at, uncertain about my condition.

My current symptoms:
-TWITCHING, in legs, arms,feet,hands, abdomen, lips, and eyelids. Mostly on my calves and in the muscles near my kneecaps.

- A feeling like cold water drops in my skin, trough all my body

-Weakness in both legs, i feel heavier standing up (I've maintained the same weight), my atrophied left leg supports me just as my right one, or so i think, I've felt like it kind of wants to give in.

-Overall diminished muscle mass, i see myself thinner.

-Numbness in both lips, tingling and numbness in the tip of my tongue

-Weakness in my arms, more so on my left, while lifting it i feel pain/soreness in my left shoulder, i really can tell between soreness and weakness in this case. I can carry less weight for less time.

-Neck pain and on my left shoulder blade, it's been over two months and still going.

-My pinky finger on my left hand starts jerking on its own, or after i clench that fist and let it go.

-Constant pain on my shoulders, pouring down to my bicep/tricep and forearm, more so on my left one.

-Tingling in my left foot, and less so in my right, some tingling in the tip of my fingers on both hands from time to time.

-Pain in the backside of my left leg and consistently in my left butt cheek going on for 8 months at this point, I've been told twice i don't have sciatica

-My middle finger on my left hand is a bit shaky, barely noticeable.

-Pain on my fingers, seems to be my joints, going all the way to my forearms, way more noticeable on my left hand.

I'm very aware of my anxiety, and surely at this point so do you, this wall of text is proof enough of that and my obsession with this disease, i know.

Its just been a demoralizing journey that made me realize how precious life really is,and how much i hate the fact that this disease even exists.

I've cried more in these past months than in my whole life.

I'll ask my current doctor to perform some neurological tests on me (clounus,hoffman,babinski) next time i see him.

I can't thank you enough for reading my thoughts and concerns, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this, and whether or not should i press on with more advanced test like emg and nerve conduction tests.

Love and take care.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hola Alan,

Most of the symptoms you describe are sensory: pain, numbness, tingling, burning. These sensory symptoms point away from ALS which is a disease of motor neurons.

Twitching is also common and nonspecific, so you can eliminate that as a worry even though it looks and feels scary.

Anxiety is more common in people who are depressed. Anxiety can bring on and magnify sensory symptoms. Anxiety and depression are serious conditions and require careful management.

So your post does not suggest ALS. Certainly see a neurologist and get a thorough neurological exam. I don’t think you need an EMG. The neurologist will give you his or her opinion.

Best of luck!

Not ALS. Not at all. Are you sure you read the "read before posting" post? It addresses all your concerns. They've got nothing to do with ALS.

Why are you off your meds? Go back to the therapist.

Hi!

Yes, i did check it, i just felt comfortable sharing my past few months with all of you,I'm sorry if i broke some rule or anything.

I've been receiving medical attention since the beginning of my depression, with meds and therapy, long story short : the past year i felt the most happy and optimistic of all these years, and am still are, so i told that to my doctor and he suggested a couple of months to decrease the dose of my medicine until he was good with me stopping the treatment.

Que tal Karen !

I'm trying my best to keep myself calm and in a positive mood, being close to my loved ones is a bliss, I've found out there's a Neurology and Neurosurgery National Institute in my city so that'll be the next place to go if necessary.

Meanwhile I'll stick my current physician and see how it goes

And hey, that's a cute dog you've got on your profile picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back