It's always 5pm somewhere in the world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tillie, when I referenced PZ I meant the PZ from the title of the forum area.

:lol: ha rolling about - why have I never noticed it says with PZ & Friends????

Hope you are on the up Angie - at least in the pub you can fantasise anything you like!

OK so a bit of history just for the intrigue I felt after rolling about laughing at myself over PZ.

I went back to the very first original post when this pub open it's doors for the first time. It was started up by Zaphoon who was also know as PZ and in the very first post I felt chills to see this line:

"We are always open because somewhere in the world, it is always "After 5"!"

gotta love it!

It's 6am xmas eve here - I have another big full day of cooking to tackle with glee.

I bought xmas cookie shape cutters and cut the sweet potatoes and beetroots for one of the salads with them, then baked them in herbs and arranged on top.

I had a most unexpected visit from a granddaughter too. Now these never happen as she lives in Canberra which is like 12 hours drive away. But they were coming to this area (her mum and my son are no longer together) for the hols (which I knew) and there were shocking traffic jams, so they took to the hills and suddenly found they were going past so stopped in. That totally made my day - she had done a colouring book picture of a koala for me which they framed as my present so I'm just thrilled.

OK time to cook the falafels, pumpkin patties, coleslaw and a spinach and pine nut wreath. Chris's son, partner and granddaughter for dinner tonight, then a few of mine tomorrow!

Tillie how wonderful for the surprise visit. Enjoy the cooking and family time!

Angie, a bottle is on its way!

Merry a Christmas Eve Eve everyone!

Cindy

Well, looks like I have missed a lot of fun!

Joining you all, hanging out. Just nice. I would love to meet Chris.

Thanks for shedding light on the PZ title, Tillie!
Surprise visits are the best.
We went to an actual bar/restaurant tonight and I could hardly understand anybody, especially not my PALS. The best thing about this pub is that it has subtitles! So I hear all of you at the same time even though very loud German morphine-jazz is playing. It's already well past 1 a.m. here and as Tillie picks up her Christmas eve cooking in Oz, the North America fraction can relax into a nice evening with this.
https://youtu.be/6Zl5vpy__dQ

Lenore —. Great to see you here at the pub. Come have a drink with us! I want to meet Brian too.

{{{{{{{{{Lenore}}}}}}}}} great to see you here!

OK I've done cooking to Nina Simone for a couple of hours, then Norah Jones for a couple and now I've just had a big dose of Tracy Chapman. Not sure who will be up for the afternoon stint, but I'm going with what pops up on the youtube jukebox :)

Well Tillie, you inspired me to make three large batches of cookies. I don't use recipes but making them all at once is more of a challenge than years past. I made ginger cookies, peanut butter/oatmeal, and something I invented with pineapple, raw coconut, macadamia nuts and what I call my standard cookie dough which is very similar to the toll house recipe dough. I put the three batches of dough in the refrigerator and will make them on Christmas day. My brother's older daughter (55) and her husband will be visiting for a few days. I had an organic turkey in my freezer that I took over to their condo this morning. Then I went to the Farmers' market where I found some huge organic strawberries (it's strawberry season in Florida) and some "Holiday Grapes" from California. I discovered the grapes about ten years ago. The season for them is very short so we get them from Thanksgiving to Christmas. They are the size of a small plum and as sweet as sugar. They are my brother's favorite fruit so it'll be a real treat for him.

Tomorrow I'm driving to Winter Park Whole Foods (can you believe the nearest Whole Foods is an hour away from me, probably more now that I'm on the beachside.) Anyway I ordered a beef tenderloin platter and some sandwich wraps. I used to always cook a beef tenderloin roast on Christmas Eve but you can't find one over here without a bunch of chemicals or antibiotics so I'm doing the Whole Foods trip. Whole foods does is right. They don't overcook the beef. I have a funny audiobook to listen to on the trip.

Back in the day I would spent three days non-stop cooking for Christmas. Everything from scratch, including bread. In retrospect, most of the time I was manic and, after Christmas, I would crash. I always lost weight at Christmas and during the holiday season because I was in perpetual motion. But it was great having three weeks off from work for faculty. I have no regrets leaving public accounting and going into higher ed. Traded money for time and it was so worth it.

Well, I'm a bartender's worst nightmare because I'm the one doing all the talking. I will leave a large tip....promise.

Kim, I’m coming over to your place for Christmas dinner. :)

It is after 5:00 here! I have been sick for most of the last month and have not had anything (alcoholic) to drink in that time:(.

My wife finally prevailed and we went to the Doctor Thursday. The doctor said no respiratory involvement, but kind of chided me for not coming in sooner. She said I should do what I feel like doing, which is kind of what I do anyway:).

So, yesterday I cooked a Prime Rib. Tonight, I had leftovers with some wine. How wonderful.

Hope everyone is having a great Christmas Eve Eve (at least those on this side of the International Date Line). To those on the other side of it, have a great Christmas Eve!

Steve

Great to see you in the pub Steve, but sorry to hear you have been unwell!

It's christmas morning here and I'm grinning at the thought of all those cookies Kim!

My young DS arrived in the middle of the night with his partner, and it's 6am now, in QLD it's 5am and my DD just texted to say she is on her way. 2.5 hour drive so breakfast will be when she arrives - vegan buckwheat pancakes with so many different goodies to choose from it's gone a bit silly!

No one will be drinking today as they will all be driving home this evening and my DS doesn't drink anyway - vegan Tae Kwon Do teacher :)

Love the rambling talk Kim, that's what pubs are all about, so everyone should rattle on, it's lovely to hear all the talk!

I am keeping dinner tomorrow really simple. Ham, scallops, green beans. I may do prime rib for us for New Years. You know, I seem to be able to have a glass of wine well or sick-ish lol. That reminds me, I need to make my world famous hot toddy baked apples this week.Rum and spices backed into apples with. Little brown sugar for an hour or so, plop ice cream on top mmmmmm!

I really need to embrace a health kick, but for now I’ll have another Chardonnay ��

Karen,

My door is always open! Will cook for music :wink:

Steve, I hope you feel better soon but it already sounds like you're on the mend.

I made it to and from Winter Park today. The traffic on I-4 wasn't bad. They moved the Whole Foods and enlarged the store. It is much closer to the Interstate and I had fun wandering around for 30 minutes.

Tonight I went to church because I finally found a liberal church that is all inclusive. It's a Catholic church and the priest is funny and cool and just a great guy. They're all about helping the poor and their doors are open to everyone. How refreshing! They even serve wine and cheese after services. They have a special ministry for disabled children! How cool is that? I saw quite a few people in wheelchairs and more with walkers.

Tillie, I'm glad you got to spend time with your loved ones.

Oh, I got my hair cut by a friend yesterday and I had her cut it very, very short. No more blow dryers for me, at least for another month.

Today it was 80 on the beach but the temperature is taking a dive tomorrow.

I really wish I liked the taste of wine. Maybe I had too much Boonesfarm in high school right out of the bottle and it soured my enjoyment for spirits.

I’m always happy to play music for food. My woodwind quintet has been regularly playing house concerts followed by potluck suppers. Y’all are invited.

Lenore — I’m coming by your house for desert!

Keep the pub going —- it’s fun!

Merry Xmas everyone:)

Happy New Year!

Attachments

• IMG_2439.jpg
    IMG_2439.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 214
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back