Diagnosis
08/2021
Country
US
State
AL
City
Fairhope
Hello everyone. I have been reading about itching issues with PALS. I have been scratching so much I'm afraid I'll start barking at the moon! It is mostly in the muscles that are in the state of atrophy, lower legs, arms and lower back.
I noticed some had liver issues, high cholesterol and such. Should I be concerned with having a liver test? Also my cholesterol, triglycerides are off the chart but my diet is good. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance. Everyone hang in there!

I also have problems with itching--usually not during the daytime, but at night when I'm trying to sleep. The area most affected is my scalp. Keeping cooler seems to help some. My most recent bloodwork didn't show a liver problem. (No, I don't have head lice)

My husband itches, it's his head and face. And he can't scratch himself. Very challenging.
We were wondering if it's a side effect of the Riluzole.

I agree with Ruth33 - it is challenging, Sometimes when trying to fall asleep I can ignore an itch until it goes away, but there are ones you can't ignore. I can still struggle to get a finger to most of them, but I can see not being able to reach any.

Prickly heat is common when you can't instinctively move around to keep cool. Avoiding thick layers of clothing and bedding, and considering a fan at night, even if it's pointed up at the ceiling, may help. It may also be trial and error as to whether you do better with certain natural fibers like cotton, vs. synthetics, alone and in combination.

Not sure what I have done to be so lucky, but itching has not been an issue. I haven't bathed with running water since late 2017. Just sponge baths. I did have some flakes and itching way back… ended up being soap build up.
I now use Dr Bronners Castile liquid soap for everything. Hair to. No lotions or creams ever. Fortunately no prob since.

I itch at times and it drives me mad. I have not been able to find the cause or a solution. Main area is scalp and face but I sometimes get very itchy under my arms.

I too get itchy, esp. scalp and abdominal area. I can tell some itching (esp on legs) is from dry skin relieved by lotion.

Ed

I'm sorry for your itchiness. It can be awful:eek: .

My problem is ECZEMA, which is common with ALS. It appears on my head and face.
Dermatologist prescribed: KETOCONAZOLE shampoo.
And: TRIAMCINOLONE ACETONIDE OINTMENT
on face and itchy spots. It works well for me.

I scratch head itching with a plastic tined, back scratcher, similar to one shown. Doesn't get caught in hair. Feels wonderful. Scalp itching stops the rest of the day.
If I could raise arms, I'd do it myself.

Itching has many causes: soap allergy; dry skin; chafing; residual soap or softener in clothing, etc. Recent Laundry Tide formula was off. Made clothes smell sour, and scratchy. Different bottle was fine. Hypoallergenic soap, no softener could be better. Check with dermatologist if changing things doesn't help. Blessings, B
1650060567964.png

Thank you for a valuable suggestion! I find cortisone cream works well for itchy spots on the skin. I got desperate and rubbed some on my scalp--stopped the itching but took two shampoos to get it out of my hair!

Hello. My sister had terrible itching, so bad that she could hardly sleep. Even though she could hardly move her arms/hands, she scratched herself everywhere she could and was getting lots of open sores. Long story short....she tried all types of topical and oral medication with limited relief. What did help, though, was gabapentin. I was at my dermatologist appointment and was talking about my sister's itching and my dermatologist recommended she try gabapentin. It has been remarkable in relieving the constant itching and her self-inflicted scratches/sores are healed. I should mention that she her itching was everywhere - back/abdomen/legs/arms....I hope this information helps some others since you shouldn't have to have any other burdens.

Thank you for this helpful suggestion.

The only input I can give is that my wife had the same itching problem and we also tried creams etc. etc. long story short it was a side effect of medication, if it can be adjusted that may help

Thank you, magic79. I was thinking the same thing. One can become allergic to anything at any time!

Be proactive - Check med's. handout or check side effects online. Even the rare ones. Your PAL may be the exception!! I usually suspect medicines or anything new they are exposed to.

Once, medication made my ankles and feet itch so badly I used a hairbrush on them
Soaking
them in cold water helped decrease my itching.
Cool towels may help or a fan. Don't chill the PALS.

If it is safe for the person, Antihistamines can help. Check with doctor.

I hope everyone can find a solution that works effectively for them! Blessings, B🍀

I also get the scalp and facial itch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back