Diagnosis
09/2011
Country
US
State
Utah
City
Hurricane
I have been attempting to get compensation for ALS from the VA. Since the process and appeal system was taking so long, I decided to ask for a pension instead since I'm unable to work. With in one month I was approved for the pension because of the inability to work. Now here comes the no-sense part. On the application they ask what disability prevents you from working. The only answer I gave was the three initials ALS, non other.

They sent me the following: Dear Mr. Roberts, we have considered your application and the evidence from you VA medical records to reach our decision.

Your application for pension is granted effective 24 Aug. 2012, with first benefits to be paid 1 Sept. 2012.

We based our decision on the following evidence: VA medical records from Seattle VA Medical Center dated 12 May 2011- June 21, 2011.

Consideration taken in this decision was your age, your education and your HEART DISEASE.

Now remember I did not ask about a pension based on heart disease and the only reference to my cardiac status, was that I had a MI in July of 2011. Thirty years go I was discharged and given a disability rating for Hypertension.

My only conclusion is they didn't want to mention the ALS because of the appeal, yet wanted to give my something. Well since the appeal I have been given a definite diagnosis of ALS. I sent that off to the VA today so now they will grant the compensation.

I'm just wondering how are they going to spin the heart disease pension when it was never brought into the discussion. I have never been examined for heart disease, I have had hypertension since my 22nd birthday in the military. So it is interesting how the system does not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back