Diagnosis
07/2012
Country
CA
State
B.C.
City
Salmon Arm
It has been over 2 months since I last visited the forum and I see that we have lost so many more of our dear warriors. I was having some difficulty with the losses, and then my own body gave out on me. I have been Tim's sole care giver since he was diagnosed in 2012, but have been blessed with all the very best equipment to help me with his care. I also had many church family come with regular meals and help for one day a week.

But alas my aging body started to wear out and 3 months ago I developed a very severe tendonitis in my right shoulder with a large calcium deposit that was displacing the tendon and giving me almost constant searing pain that made it impossible for me to do Tim's care. I had to hire private care to come in, and that began a whole new saga. I found the care mostly substandard and even dangerous at times, and Tim's condition started to deteriorate.

Finally Community Care got involved and decided that he qualified for palliative care in the home and they started covering the cost. We have a program here called the CSIL program that gives you funding to train and hire your own care givers. Well, it was implemented in record time, literally and I started to gather and teach our team. I have funding for 490 hours a month for care which is more than I need. My shoulder had a miraculous recovery (seriously, after my pastor prayed over it) and 3 weeks after one X-ray the calcium had totally absorbed. The radiologist, physiotherapist and my physician had never in their years seen such a thing.

But then I started to have bouts of tendonitis in my other joints where I was unable to open or close my hands, or I had to keep one or the other arm completely straight or I would lose the feeling in it. This has continues ever since, with one week being the longest time without one of my fingers, hands, wrists or knees being painful and swollen. Alas our pastor came over and prayed over both of us but I guess it is not his will at this time. But we have supper great care givers that have become like family to us, that come every day except Saturday which is OUR day where we get to be alone together. Usually my hands are both working so I can manage on my own, and by Sunday they are swollen and painful again, but we wouldn't give OUR day up for the world.

Tim is now having difficulty making a seal with his sip and puff ventilator, so by the afternoon I put him on his nasal pillows on biped, and then his face mask for the night. He is getting tired much more quickly now, and finds a lot of noise and movement around him extremely nauseating. I think he may have a bowel that is twisting on him these days as he developed nausea with salivating and pain in his lower abdomen, and only able to pass mucous from his rectum. I have been sucking everything out of his stomach and giving him an antacid with gravel, but last week that didn't even help. Thankfully I have IV equipment and solutions here and some IV medications from the last time he got sick, so started an IV and gave him a really good IV antiemetic (for vomiting and nausea) and a whiff of Hydromorphine for the pain. He dropped off for about 15 minutes and woke up completely pain free with no nausea. I

f the pain had continued I would have brought him to the hospital in case he needed an antibiotic, but aside from that there was nothing else to be done. He has been a lot better the last week, and in the last month 4 of his brothers have come and visited him for all over the States, and 3 of his 4 kids visited from Texas. Hopefully his oldest daughter will be getting here soon, as he would like to see her before he goes.

Sadly he not tolerating our outings as the least bit of chill or wind takes it out of him. We went up to our fishing lake with our best friends and his kids, and we nearly lost him. He was doing well, and he was all bundled up for warmth, and my girlfriend and I decided to canoe to the other side of the small lake to do some fishing. After about 45 minutes we could hear them screaming my name to hurry and come back. My friends husband was in his little motorized fishing boat near us and we both took of back to Tim. Trish and I paddled so hard that we beat the motor boat back. Trish is also a nurse and we were up to Tim quickly and discovered that he was losing the use of the muscles in his mouth from breathing in the cool air through his ventilator and was unable to make a seal on his mouth piece to inflate his lungs.

He was just getting enough in to maintain consciousness, and thankfully I had thought to bring his nasal pillows along with an ambubag (it is used in hospitals to assist breathing) I brought him into the Van and heated it up till it was nearly a sauna inside. I started stripping off all his blankets so the heat could get to him, and then almost started stripping down my clothes so I didn't die of heat stroke. 15 minutes later he was all warmed up and chatting up a storm. When we got home we had 15 perch for me to filet and we had a feast. Tim's kids had never had fish that they had caught themselves and loved it.

Our garden is spectacular, and Tim can see red House finches, Chickadees,etc. visiting the bird seed feeder, Pileated Wood Peckers, Nuthatches, and Flickers on the suet block feeder, and Humming birds on the feeder all out of the same window that faces our water fall feature. We are blessed for sure, but know that our time together will come to an end soon, and I hate the thought.

Take care friends, and I hope that this missive finds you all well, or as well as can be.

Paulette

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for dropping by and updating us on your situation, hugs to you both. Love Gem

Paulette, it's so good to hear from you. I'm sorry that Tim is no longer able to tolerate the outings, but how wonderful that you are still able to take such care of him. Thank heavens for your nursing experience! Matt is still breathing well, but I've thought of your and Tim recently as I realize that Matt's energy has dropped to the point that he mostly stays on pavement instead of taking his Frontier "off road". I know you both miss Tim's time on the trails, and I'm so glad that you are able to continue to have that private you time weekly.

I also mourn the losses here, but there are many wonderful new PALS and CALS who are very supportive.

Much love to you and your man,

Becky

Sending good thoughts& prayers your way Paulette ,
Seeing the birds out the window is a great relief . Much love to ya on this journey. Chally

Paulette, u know this, but u are a blessing to him and this forum.

Take care,

pat

Paulette, I am so happy to see you back here. I was wondering where you where. You will both be in my thoughts. I know how bad tendinitis is. Both of my elbows had to have surgery.

Paulette, I am so happy to see you back here. I was wondering where you where. You will both be in my thoughts. I know how bad tendinitis is. Both of my elbows had to have surgery.

Did the surgeries help / Work?

Yes they did. I travel and carrying luggage and working out mess3d them up. I am much better now. It's been there years

Good to see you posting again Paulette xxx

Paulette, your past post have been very informative and helpful for me... Thank You.

From your past posts, you seem skilled at dealing with als... I trust your opinion... If it is ok, may I ask, how do u know its the end? I am curious about this for my family and friends. i want to have it planned, as much, as possible. ... POA and Will were done a few years ago... probably will update soon.

Take care,

pat

If it is nearing the end for Tim, could Hospice help with medication?

So good to hear from you, Paulette, though sad to hear of Tim's progression and your tendonitis and pain. Have you been doing PT/hand therapy?

Best,
Laurie

I get weekly pysio and acupuncture, as well as massage and ultrasound once a week. I have people come in to get Tim up and put him back to bed every day except Saturday. I stretch, and ice them, and take all the indicated vitamins and minerals, but it doesn't seem to be settling down. I know that I carry stress in my neck and shoulders so that is probably what is going on. I have been trying to get out more and do things for myself, but it just isn't enjoyable without Tim.
Tim had another bout of abdominal pain, but it settled quickly with minimal intervention, but it took a lot out of him. I ended putting his full face mask on him so that he could sleep, and he has been quite subdued tonight. It is so unlike him, and very hard to watch. I HATE THIS DISEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am afraid to let myself cry because I may not be able to stop because I have been holding it in for so long. I have a beautiful home and a garden that would rate Home & Garden, a beautiful town and I would give it all up just to have Tim back. What good are things when you don't have anyone to share it with.
Sorry, just feeling sorry for myself tonight.

Paulette you vent all you want.
We are here to listen and to support as much as possible.

I'm glad you had some time to update us all.

You are so inspiring to a lot of people.

'One day' you are going to fuss over my hair, do you remember that conversation from so long ago?

So much has happened, good and bad, since that talk.

Whatever happens from here on out, we are all supporting you.

Paulette, I'm in the same boat with a beautiful home and a husband who wants to leave me well cared for, but I too would give it all up for him. Right now we still enjoy it together (just differently than before), but I don't know if I'll feel the same when he's gone. This place IS him.

You have taken such remarkable care of Tim that it seems incredible that he's declining and you can't stop it. My heart hurts for you, dear lady. You get to vent. You get to cry. You get to let us hold your hand. That cry may take a long time, but it might release some of the tension you carry. Stuffing the grief inside for so long doesn't work--the body suffers when emotions are suppressed. But you know that. I wish there were words I could write that would make a difference...

Becky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back