00/0000
Country
AU
State
SA
City
Adelaide
Hey all,

I’m terribly sorry to bother but I am just looking for an opinion on my situation.
My issues like many other started with body wide twitching that has never really gone away since they started a year ago. They are mostly in my abdomen and they come when I cough or sneeze.

I’m not too worried about them in isolation, but together with my nose and mouth symptoms I’m a little worried.

The most annoying is little bouts of ten or so successive yawns that come randomly during the day.

Another is sort of like a bubble feeling where the nose connects to the throat, which is noticeable the longer I talk. Feels like stuck mucus when there is none. I went to an ent first who scoped my nose and said structurally it was fine. To quite uncomfortable in the soft palate area and just above it

My swallowing and talking seem ok but I feel I sound more nasal. I also sometimes get the feeling of air entering my air through my nose which makes like an internal whooshing sound.

I had an emg about 8 months ago before the nose and mouth symptoms began, just for the twitches. They only tested three muscles, one in the leg, one in the hand and my right trap. The report was clean except for fasiculations in the leg.

Just wanted any opinions on if I should perhaps seek out a second emg.

Sorry again to everyone affected.

Kindest regards

Tom

Hello- please make sure to read the Read Before Posting thread. It contains a lot of information.

While your symptoms don't really seem to be the pattern that indicates ALS, it's important to work with your doctors to track down any causes for your discomfort. An EMG is only fruitful if there's an issue pertaining how your nerves connect to your muscles and it's not clear this is your trouble. Asking for particular tests or focusing on a specific condition may muddy the waters and prevent doctors from looking in the right direction.

Your symptoms do not sound like bulbar onset. Given that you have had a clean EMG, a clean clinical exam, and none of what is typical bulbar onset (slurred speech), your worries seem to be unfounded.

In my opinion, seeking an EMG without ALS symptoms, could be taking away an appointment someone desperately needs. Having said that, if you cannot let ALS go, a second EMG may finally convince you that you do not have this disease.

Best of luck and stay safe.

Hey guys,

Thank you for taking the time to write your kind replies. I’ll take what you have said on board and not force the doctor in a predetermined direction.

Thank you again,

Kindest regards,

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back