AdBlock Detected

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience and to help support our community please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KANSASTOM

Distinguished member
Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
ks
Is the EMG just a diagnostic tool to differentiate between nerve disease or muscle disease? The way I understand the function of the EMG in diagnosing ALS, is that it only shows lower motor neuron involvement, is this a true statement? I read alot of posts about muscle twitching and a dirty EMG and everyone thinks they have ALS. I am not convinced anyone has ALS until they show all of the above and upper motor neuron involvement and everything else ruled out. I am very confused, what constitutes a definitive diagnosis of ALS? Are there any ramifications of this one neurologists report out there for insurance companies to see, which I believe he is wrong. I am still waiting to go the MDA clinic but will this report come back to haunt me? I guess me obtaining any supplemental, life or disability insurance is now unlikey.

rose

Extremely helpful member
Reason
DX MND
Diagnosis
7/2008
Country
US
State
Maryland
The standard for diagnosis is called El Escorial Diagnostic Criteria

The diagnosis of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis [ALS] requires:
A - the presence of:

(A:1) evidence of lower motor neuron (LMN) degeneration
by clinical, electrophysiological or neuropathologic examination,

(A:2) evidence of upper motor neuron (UMN) degeneration
by clinical examination, and

(A:3) progressive spread of symptoms or signs within a region or to other regions,
as determined by history or examination,

together with
B - the absence of:

(B:1) electrophysiological and pathological evidence of other disease
processes that might explain the signs of LMN and/or UMN degeneration, and

(B:2) neuroimaging evidence of other disease processes that might explain the
observed clinical and electrophysiological signs.

You're correct that an EMG does not show upper neuron involvement
The following is from a Canadian website that I found to be very helpful:

Signs and Symptoms
Upper Motor Neuron Degeneration

* muscle stiffness or rigidity
* emotional lability (decreased ability to control emotions)
* excessive fatigue
* dysphagia (difficulty swallowing)
* dyspnea (shortness of breath)
* dysarthria (a speech disorder caused by impairment of the muscles used for speaking)
* incresed or 'brisk' reflexes
* gait spasticiy

My neurologist also told me that she is withholding a complete diagnosis of ALS (for me) until there are EMG's from three separate locations that are problematic. (So far I just have the vocal cord dirty EMG) .... I think that is standard to, although I didn't see it in this "El Escorial " ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock