Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
GR
State
EU
City
Thessaloniki
This week is a particularly troubling week for me, with many distressing symptoms. First there was difficulty breathing. Monday night, after having eaten more than I needed, I started having apnea when lying down. The thing is I waited a few hours before going to bed to minimize discomfort from a full stomach, but still had apnea. I mean I lyed down, and I relaxed so much, that I forgot to breathe and then I jumped out to brreathee fresh air. This has happened other times in the past though, but it happened once or twice. Now I had many such attacks. The next day was better, though I had symptoms even in waking, which I never otherwise had. I mean when I laid still and relaxed too much, I got again the same stopping of breathing. The second night the sleep was normal, but for the other four days I had such attacks, or just pulpitations without full apnea attacks. I had other symptoms of apnea such as waking often at night to pee or waking up too early. Sleep apnea is something I probably have anyway. A deviated septum and excess weight worsen the problem. But rarely I have experienced so severe symptoms.
At day the situation wasn't good. Even if I had a small nasal block I started experiencing shortness of breath. I felt a pressure sensation at the diaphragm and a tingling sensation sometimes, and also a feeling of material in the airway when inhaling deeply.
Yesterday Satturday the start of the sleep was normal, but when I woke up early in the morning I had trouble sleeping again because of pulpitations/difficulty t breathe.
Also from yesterday night I started getting right arm weakness and fasciculations all over my body. The fasciculations can appear in the limbs, hands, feet, fingers, belly, chest or even lips, nose and jaw muscles. I get them when reasting or before sleep or at random times. That is very distressing and worrying.
Today when I woke up I was in a better state to describe the arm weakness. The arm feels heavier than the contraleteral arm, objects seem heavier, but it can perform the basic tasks. Usually I don't have any lack of coordination when typing, although if I am in a hurry I might have. I am left handed and this arm and I can move the index and middle finger quite fast. I noticed that sometimes if I move these particular fingers while stretched they may fatigue, but still they move quickly if I have them somewhat curled. When I exercise the arm even a little, I feel a burning/fatiguing sensation particularly at the base of the arm at the sholder. Even at rest the arm feels lighter and maybe slightly tingly.
Also I noticed muscle atrophy. The left arm was my strongest, but now that I palpated my sholder I noticed that the left sholder is mostly embedded in muscle, and I can palpate the bones clearly when the arm is stretched in front of me, while in the right arm it is much easier to palpate the bones of the sholder.
I hope this is not ALS. Attacks of weakness mostly at the same arm were noticed in the past, also in the legs sometimes. But they were shorter in duration. I hope at least I have a Chiari malformation or something similar more benign. I don't know what to do. I am very worried, cry all the time, get upset with everyone and everything with no reason and hurt people by talking bad to them, and now that I am typing this I again got some fasciculations which alarm me.
What do you think?

Hello,

Do I think that this is the beginning of ALS? Not at all; not in the least; nada. Please give yourself peace of mind by reading READ BEFORE POSTING (as you should have done before actually posting). The answers to your questions will be found there, as well as peace of mind. Nothing you have posted sounds like ALS, therefore, there is no need to be here. That's fantastic news for you.
Any remaining questions you may have should be dealt with directly with your GP.

Take good care.

Protein, just a question... how old are you?

If I were you, I'd make an appointment with a pulmonary doctor and get a sleep study and breathing tests. Most likely, you need a CPap. You are correct that obesity can make apnea worse and even cause it.

Meanwhile, get moving and lose the weight. Never eat before bed. Your food needs transit time before you lie down. Otherwise, you can experience acid reflux which leads to heart palpitations in some.

Nothing you posted sounds like ALS.

Ok, I was just wondering because we are having another run of 20 year olds again.

AlS is a rare disease. ALS for those in their 20s, early 20s, is rare to the rarest... times 2.

Coincidence proven is rare too.

No disrespect. Honest answer. I think you're angry at yourself for being fat.
There's no ALS there, not even a little bit.

Thank you for your advice. Yes, I have read the important post, but with so many atypical cases you can never be 100% sure. I for example have read a case that started with fasciculations and not weekness. Still I feel that I cannot move my right index finger very fast, because it fatigues more quickly. I may see a neurologist for piece of mind. I was fearing also cjd. Everyone says they are rare diseases but there atypical cases in younger ages. I hope I have nothing.

I don't know what you have, but your symptoms are not ALS typical. Period. Please quit trying to argue otherwise. As well, if you've not seen a Neuro yet, why are you here asking strangers to diagnose you?

If you're so worried, go to a Neuro and get checked out. I'm sure the neuro's answers will correspond to those who've given feedback here.

It's not ALS, please move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back