Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
SE
State
LU
City
Lund
Hi guys I been reading this forum a lot for the past few month. I’m simply amazed by the positivity and support from this forum. Comments from you guys really helped me a lot even this is the first post for me here. I’m a 22 years old student who was depressed for several years, felt a lot better since last year but the withdrawal hit me like a truck and started the whole health anxiety thing. The fear of Als truly devoured me especially now since I just moved to a new city by myself. I just noted these dent on my left hand and dr google told me is split hand atrophy, these picture I found look identical to mine, maybe is just my anxious mind telling me so but really need some reassurance.

My symptoms are mainly just the clumsiness of my left hand And weakness(most likely subjective weakness). Also a wired feeling of can’t access my hand muscles when I pinch. I been doing a whole lot of strength test at home and I think it’s mainly normal. But that dent on my left hand really gave a mental break down. Another thing is for about 3 weeks ago my pinch strength was extremely weak(I’d argue is objective weakness). My strength is improved but there is like a cramp like pain around my wrist every time I try to pinch. Really hoping to get some reassurance while I’m wait for neuro. Hope my post won’t offend anyone in anyway. If I did apologies in advance.

C6B5D294-38EA-4401-9183-6CF7ED5F4449.jpeg
D49C478C-F53B-4232-92F5-BDBFD2AD440D.jpeg

From someone who knows Split Hand Syndrome, simple answer... NO.

"My strength is improved"... that doesn't happen.

Let the Neuro assure you. Before.... see a doctor (PCP) help you with
depression and anxiety. AND... avoid Dr. Google.

Just for note...

Many people with Health Anxiety are often unable to function or
enjoy life due to their fears and preoccupations. They become
preoccupied with bodily functions, breathing, heartbeat, minor
physical abnormalities, dents, fasciculation, physical sensations,
pain, perceived weakness, sleep disorders and continuing new
symptoms.

Then to amplify, escalate, add more to it… Dr. Google.

I’m super grateful for ur comments. U just saved my from another break down. I just read about someone in the forum said the dent on the palm side between thumb and first finger is arguebale a first sign of ALS. And I can feel a triangle shaped dent in the area I circled in the picture. Thanks again for you advice really appreciat it. It’s just the waiting line for medical help in Sweden is just way too long😞

Please don't post photos as we ask in this post you need to carefully read.

I understand your terrible fear, but this is not how these things happen with ALS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back