Diagnosis
12/2012
Country
US
State
OK
City
Midwest city
When my husband had his last dr visit in May I asked about FTD and was told he had some cognitive decline but didn't have FTD. His speech is very poor but he can yell loudly. He is constantly wanting adjustments to his wheelchair, repositioning etc, and if you don't do it straight away he gets very upset. If I ask him to give me a few minutes to myself he just starts to yell help me continuously until I go back to him. If I tell him I've hurt my arm and back repositioning his stiff legs it makes no difference to him, he still wants me to do it even though 30 seconds later we are back to square one. He seems to have no concept that I might be angry or upset, he just looks at me blankly. I don't know if this is mild FTD or just frustration over the ALS and not being able to do anything for himself. He doesn't curse at me or say bad things, and he can't hurt me physically.
What do you think?
Amanda.

Amanda, what was he like BEFORE ALS?

Before ALS he was a pretty quiet person, pretty even temper, we never had any major arguments. We had a rather uneventful life. He would never express his feelings to me and when I was upset about something he didn't seem particularly sympathetic. He often said "I don't want to talk about it".

Amanda, sorry I'm a bit behind in the posts here.

If you go to the FTD section here and look at some of the recent posts I have put up some links that you might find really helpful.

Up to 50% of PALS suffer some FTD - this stands for frontotemporal degeneration. Some people will only label it FTD if there is obvious behavioural issues, but it is now accepted that so many PALS will have some degeneration.

Anyway, read the other threads and you might have some comments to bring back here :)

Amanda just reading another thread of yours about drinking water and you say he is in the end stages?

Doesn't really matter if he has FTD or not and I would spend precious end time researching it, just keep him comfortable.

Amanda, my husband does the same thing so often. I think certainly mild/moderate personality changes are so so so often the result of ALS. I would not classify my husband as FTD, but he is different and I just deal with it and know it is there .I don't need to tell him because he can not see it.

It hurts your heart, I know. just try to remember that it is the disease, not the real him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back