Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
florida
City
jacksonville
Hello everyone! A little over 4 months ago i posted about about the twitching all over my body. I still have it. I also posted about a lump in my calf which an mri showed it was a hernia. Since then I have noticed a dent in my right thigh when i flex. Im not sure if this has always been there or not? I can still run fine on it, play basketball etc. Though I do get a burning sensation while riding bikes there. Not sure if this is atrophy? Torn Muscle? Or just normal? I do have it on my left leg as well but no where near as big as it is on my right. I have provided pics of the "dent" when flexing and also a pic of me not flexing to show there is no dent when i do not flex. Maybe it is just the muscle definition since I am quite skinny. Thanks for all the help!

Not Flexing:
rightleg2.jpg

Flexing:
rightleg3.jpg

rightleg1.jpg

Have you asked a doctor about this? If not, why not?

Really just recently noticed it. I am going to call my doc on Monday. Can atrophy present it self like this? Like look like a normal thigh when not flexed and have a "dent" in it when flexed? Thanks

Now how the hell would we be able to tell if that was atrophy? We're not doctors and we'd want to feel the leg if we were. Come on Sunday. I need my football fix to keep me sane. Right Rose.

AL.

Really just recently noticed it. I am going to call my doc on Monday. Can atrophy present it self like this? Like look like a normal thigh when not flexed and have a "dent" in it when flexed? Thanks

What makes you think that? If a muscle is normal-sized, why would you question whether or not it had atrophied?

Because of the dent? And because of my twitching though I have that all over my body. I clearly need to do more reading but i figured asking some questions couldn't hurt. If it were atrophy im assuming I would have extreme weakness seeing as how big the dent is. Thanks for all the replies.

Because of the dent? And because of my twitching though I have that all over my body. I clearly need to do more reading but i figured asking some questions couldn't hurt. If it were atrophy im assuming I would have extreme weakness seeing as how big the dent is. Thanks for all the replies.

You don't need to do more reading -- you need to do more consulting with your family practice doctor. When you don't understand what you read about medical things on the Internet, it can lead you to do foolish things like posting pictures of yourself on the Internet for a bunch of strangers who can't answer your questions and have no interest in seeing pictures of your body. Consulting with your family practice physician, on the other hand, will get you the answers you seek and, should something prove to actually be wrong with you, you'll get some direction to the real help you need.

And, for the record, your bodywide twitching isn't a symptom of ALS, either. ALS doesn't start like that . Furthermore, if your twitches were ALS-induced, you would be noticing some clinical weakness by now.

If you really must look for information on the Internet, try searching for information about "benign fasciculation syndrome", or BFS. I think you'll find that your symptoms match up with BFS much better than they do with ALS and BFS is a far less frightening (and disabling) condition.

Good luck to you.

I am very much an advocate for trying to provide support or answer questions for people who have legitimate concerns. One thing though that people have to understand is that no one on here is a Dr and if we were we would diagnose anyone over the internet with a picture. If your anxiety does take over and you need to ask questions their are forums where you can post questions and can asnwers from a Dr. One such is "asktheneurologist" dot com. or "medhelp" dot org which is sponsored by the Cleveland Clinic.

The only thing I can tell you from your picture is that you are a white male and your showing us your right leg. Other then that there is nothing more I can tell you from that photo.

Please see a Dr. Good luck I hope you are OK.

First it's tongue pictures and now pictures of a leg? If some guy posts a picture of his twitching atrophied butt I will be scarred for life! Get real and see your doctor, at least he is paid to look at your body.

You can read to much into things on the internet. I would say like everyone else to go see your doctor. You want the right answers and we are not doctors. So see your doctor and than let us know what it is. Good luck

I am no doctor but some positives are
1. You have no weakness
2. You have equal dimples on both sides, which means not likely to be anything important.
3. You said they may have always been there, which is very likely.
4. You have cute legs :)

Well I'll answer your question, "NO" that is not atrophy. If it is, then my husband is in trouble too. When he got home tonight I had him drop his pants so I could see his thighs, LOL I pulled up your photos and had him flex his leg just like you did in the photos, and I swear that it is identical to yours, and his left leg did not show as much of an indentation as the right. His explanation for this was the muscle in the right leg is larger than the left because thats the dominant side and when the muscle is bigger, you get more indentation when the muscle is flexed.

So there you go. Hubby was a personal trainer for Cross Fit for quite a while and when it comes to muscles and what they should do and how they should look, he has always been spot on. I should listen to him more:shock: Glad he cant read this:shock:

Take Care BFSer:wink:

Robynn:grin:

Thanks Robyn and everyone else who has commented in this thread, I really do appreciate it. Im sorry if i made some of you mad by posting pics I just figured it would help. Anyway thanks again.

ftp,

Don't feel bad about posting your photos. You wanted info. You found a place where questions were allowed to be asked. I think you got some good answers and it sounds as if you are less anxious now. Great. Mission accomplished. And, I agree with Aly, you have great legs. Thanks for visiting.

Now how the hell would we be able to tell if that was atrophy? We're not doctors and we'd want to feel the leg if we were. Come on Sunday. I need my football fix to keep me sane. Right Rose.
AL.

Alas, football can only do so much! lol. But, there's always next year.(go Steelers ! ! ! )

However, even though Al's comment was made in jest, I feel compelled to say that focusing too much on appearance (dents, mismatched limbs etc ) or symptoms gives them too much importance in how we feel about our lives. Photos are hard to really see anything from, unless there is a glaring anomaly. Is it the concave area over the crease that concerns you, or the crease? Which ever it is, when you see the doctor, point that out, rather that just saying "your thigh" Because, if he/she finds nothing wrong, maybe the doctor can still give you an explanation as to what you're seeing. That way, if you get it clarified, it won't take over your thoughts and just generally screw up your happiness.

And, yes, another vote here for cute legs 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back