Reason
Other
Country
US
State
Illinois
City
Moline
I am a 42 year old woman. I have been having muscle twitches all over my body for 3 months now, I have been to the dr multiple times. My blood work is perfect, they have checked my potassium, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium etc, also checked my thyroid and para thyroid, my CPK is normal, no muscle weakness or atrophy. My reflexes are normal. My dr is sending me to a neurologist which could take a month or longer. My only symptom is twitching mostly in my legs and arms. Once in a while it’s in my stomach area. I also have bouts of not being able to swallow, like something is stuck in my throat.But my twitches are constant and it is scaring me. Of course dr google said ALS. I have a history of anxiety disorder. Any info would help

Hi, Darci,

With a history of anxiety, I would look to see what makes the twitches better along with ruling out neurological disease. This could include a low voltage heated mattress pad at night, tai chi, Pilates, ballet, other static stretching, massage, meditation, long walks, swimming, volunteer work, whatever helps your mind better control your muscles.

As you know, you are not describing ALS, which is great news.

Best,
Laurie

I have had anxiety all of my life and the twitches just started 3 months ago, would they go away with anxiety meds if it was ALS? And would I have any other signs 3 months later?

Anxiety doesn't always cause twitches by itself. But it can make them more likely and worse. Since anxiety often waxes and wanes with or without drugs, so do things it contributes to, like twitching.

In ALS, if there are twitches, they tend to go away as muscles get weaker and more nerves die. They don't go away with drugs, though they may be less noticeable.

We do not see ALS presenting with bodywide twitching, no weakness or atrophy.

Thank you so much for your response, I am just trying to find other causes.

Not to be flip, but "finding other causes" is kind of your doc's job -- s/he has a powerful legal incentive to find causes other than anxiety, to the extent that they exist. I understand you're going to see a neuro, as well -- I'm just saying, it's not on you to find the zebras.

If s/he does not see anything else wrong, maybe it's worth pretending that's the case for the month before your neuro appointment, and see how far feel-better strategies in the vein of my earlier suggestions can take you.

I went to the ER last night with a headache on my right temple. I told the dr about the ongoing twitches and the fear of ALS, she ran the same blood work, and a ct scan. All were normal except potassium was a litte low, I started crying and she asked what was wrong I said the more you rule out the more it could be ALS. She did a few neuro tests, no Clonus, reflexes were still normal etc. she said it doesn’t look like ALS. I forgot to say In my first post, I am a home health care giver. I drive about 80 miles a day from home to home, 90% of my patients are terminal. I have read on this sight twitches have come before other signs. Would I have other signs after 3 months of twitches? My twitches are not all day and night I don’t notice them while working, only while sitting or laying down. I’m a mess, any advice will help

Get a grip Darci, we can't say anything more now, you are just asking the same things in different ways. You are not displaying signs of ALS, and you need to seek health professional help rather than strangers with a terminal illness online.

I wish you peace and a long healthy life.

Darci, several medical doctors have physically examined you and run tests, two of the most knowledgeable people in the world have answered you here. No ALS. If you're still worried about ALS, then the worry itself, not ALS, is the problem.

ER docs don't know shit about ALS. They are trained and experienced at stabilizing human bodies so you can live another day.

Both docs and also nurses will try to exude confidence to the patient, and will give you the impression they know ALS. They don't. Doctors, I found, know just a little about it. But doctors are those kids who grew up so smart and have been right about nearly everything their whole lives that they can't imagine something they are not expert in. As for nurses, they don't have any of the background needed to diagnose ALS, but they will nod and give you the impression they do.

If you wish, see a neurologist who specializes in ALS and get an EMG. But, by all means, ask your PCP to consider treating you for anxiety. ALL of the symptoms you stated here are classic anxiety.

I am not a doctor. See your PCP. Forget about ALS.

I’m sorry to post again, I went to the ER once again, this time for facial drooping on the right side along with pain in my jaw and behind my right eye. The did blood work, a CT scan and kept me overnight, I did see the neurologist. He said there is no way I have ALS as it doesn’t cause drooping and the twitches he couldn’t see, he said in ALS you can see the skin moving. They did an MRI but it came out normal. I have a neurology appointment the end of September. I have been twitching for almost 5 months now. Just last week my upper lip started twitching when I smile. Not every time I smile, just fake smile real big. It moves on its own and it’s very noticeable. My tongue now seems to move a lot. I have no weakness, I can still work and do everything I did before. My question is if this were ALS, would I have atrophy and weakness by now? After 4.5 months of twitching? Again I am sorry for posting again.

I'm sorry, you have a neuro appointment at the end of September? It's November, now.

Darci, you are getting some good advice here. Incidentally, trouble swallowing is a major symptom of GERD, with or without heartburn, and GERD is very aggravated by anxiety. Twitching and anxiety are so closely related that virtually all Dr’s seem to mention it first thing. Do you best to calm down, you are not showing signs of ALS.

I’m sorry my appointment is the end of November, I do have acid reflux, but even the neurologist didn’t have an answer to my face drooping on the right, except for a migraine. Thank you all for responding, I am mainly worried about my twitching that just started, I have had anxiety all of my life and it just started almost 5 months ago.

Facial droops are very often related to stress and fatigue, just as twitches are. And if you are anxious, your diet and hydration may not be that great.

We do not see any reason to worry about ALS. But since your anxiety seems to be running past your ability to see this lack of worry for what it is, we would encourage you to seek better help for it. That has to happen in Illinois, not on line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back