Reason
Other
Country
Us
State
MA
City
Marlborough
Hi all: I wanted to get a second opinion as I've been seeing my doctor about my concerns and he does not seem worried. I have been having twitches in my big toe as well as cramps in both legs for the last couple of weeks. I also have been sweating a lot in Both my hands and feet. My doctor checked my reflexes and said they were normal and checked my muscles through bloodwork and physical exam. He did not notice any weakness or atrophy. Would I be feeling cramps this early in the process without the weakness? Should I push for an emg? Thanks!

Please. Read. The. Sticky. That. Says: "READ BEFORE POSTING!"

Thanks.

I did, I guess my question is would a doctor be able to notice those things from a physical exam and blood work. thanks

Yes the doctor would. An EMG is necessary ( among other tests and exams) to confirm an ALS diagnosis. It is not necessary to rule it out if your clinical exam already did so. No do not push for unnecessary testing.

There is a quote from Dr Martin Turner a leading ALS expert to the effect that he would never do an EMG if there was no clinical weakness and if for some reason he was presented with one that was abnormal and looked like ALS if the patient had a normal exam he STILL would not diagnose ALS

There is even something called EMG disease- very rare- where perfectly healthy people have abnormal EMGs but never develop neurological illnesses.

Your doctor has cleared you of ALS. Follow whatever instructions he has given you

Nikki gives great advice and it would be worth you reading the sticky again, this time slowly.

You really don't have a single thing to indicate ALS, so that's wonderful. Don't keep reading about this disease, just work with your doctor.

Thanks! I appreciate it and don't see any other need rj follow up with him. I had been on Zoloft which may have caused some of These symtpims. I was just worries because I know doctors really struggle to identify People with als which makes it hard to trust them. Thabks!

Also, while I'm asking things. Does the babinski reflex test show anything? Mine came up fine but wasn't sure if iT was relavent or not? Thanks!

You don't have ALS, so please stop.
For your own sake.

Thanks again, I trying really hard. The cramps just frighten me because they won't go away and I just don't want to be one of those people whose doctor did not identify als when it could've been caught early. I'm glad to know that doctors can rule it out without an emg.

There is no benefit to 'catching it early', really. There is not a treatment. It's an incurable, progressive disease with no treatment, even with an early diagnosis. You have been cleared by your doc, by folks here. There is no reason to keep trying to chase an ALS diagnosis. You can trust your doctor, you don't have any symptoms of ALS. Get treated for your anxiety and enjoy your life.

Last question comment, and then I will leave this board and would be okay with this thread being closed. I was reading on your site that 50 percent of the nerves die before any weakness or atrophy occur. Since I now have the twitching occuring in my right foot and the muscle cramps in both legs, would one of those things be apparent to a dr. In. A physical exam early on in the process. Thanks again!

Also, is feet sweating something that would be sign with early onset of als.

I think you're done here. You've gotten the official opinion of people here. If you read the stickies thoroughly and thoughtfully you wouldn't be asking if sweating feet were a sign of onset. Feel free to read them again and best of luck.

Dear, per your request above: closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back