Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
IL
City
Chicago
Hello,

I would like to share my story. I am a 20 year old female. Starting 3 months ago I began having bad leg twitches. They were practically 24/7. I had an EMG on my legs and it was normal. They began happening more and more so I had a second EMG on my legs a month later which was also normal. However, now it has gone down in my legs but my shoulders and arms are having twitching. The reason I am writing this post though is because my right arm now feels extremely heavy all the time and is SO tired from doing practically nothing along with twitching. I emailed my GP and he said this is not from anxiety and has lasted far too long. I am not quite sure what to think except that this is ALS. I also am experiencing shaking especially when bringing a fork to my mouth as if I am weak. They also shake when I open and close my hands slowly. Please let me know. I know the beginning stages are twitching and I have heard people tell stories where their first signs were their arm got so tired from doing simple tasks. Do I need an EMG on my arms?

Hello there,

My twitching started in the arms, and I also had progressive arm weakness. As of now, I don't really have symptoms either in my legs or above the neck. One thing I've found out is that these neurological disorders are very complicated. There are a lot of variations. Mine unfortunately did turn out to be ALS, but that does not mean yours is.

I would talk to your doctor about whether an EMG on your arms (and possibly legs) is appropriate. If I were you that is what I would do. There are diseases out there that look like ALS but turn out not to be. Hopefully that will be the case with you. Good luck!

20 year old female <> very, very rare to have ALS. Very.
EMG on my legs and it was normal <> Great!
second EMG on my legs...also normal. <> Fantastic!
right arm now feels extremely heavy <> Feeling? Read the sticky post at the top of this subforum.

I know the beginning stages are twitching <> Wrong. Not true.

Do I need an EMG on my arms? <> Ask your doctor.

You have something going on, but I would be shocked if it were ALS. Don't worry about ALS, just ask your doctor to fix your arms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back