Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Uk
State
W
City
W
I am a 19 year old female. Last August/September time I started to develop a pain in my knee joint wgen bending down etc. This theb decreased for a time, but at christmas time I started to develop the pain in my wrist and ankle. The knee and ankle pain has since pretty much subsided but is still mildly present in my wrist when its fully bent/exerted. A few months ago I suddenly developed a localised pain in the right of my chest when breathing deeply and moving. This pain would come and go and was sometimes felt in my shoulder. I have also noticed I have shooting back pains that last a few seconds, a slight random hand tremor, pins and needles in my feet often and my muscles tend to become strained easily - especially my right forearm. For the joints and chest pains I have had numerous blood tests for stuff like arthiritis, autoimmune diseases and a pulmonary embolism but doctors can't find a conclusion for either. Does this sound like ALS/MND? Would my pains be able to come and go like this if it was or would they just get progressively worse?

Thank You

I'm sorry you are experiencing medical issues.

GREAT NEWS!
Nothing you have listed above sounds like ALS to me.

What ever in this world led you to this forum?

ALS is a disease of motor neurons not sensory neurons.

Weakness and muscle atrophy are among the chief hallmarks of ALS.

NO ! your symptoms are nothing like als/mnd symptoms.
Did you see an actual rehumatologist?
Not being funny but at your age you could still be having growing pains......i think its around early tewnties you stop growing.
PLEASE take our advice and vacate the forum..........for your own sanity......and ours.

Hi

I'm not a doctor and I don't have ALS/PMD. On the other hand I have severe lung disease, and whilst there are vast numbers of different lung diseases they tend to have features in common. One of the most common feature is that the patient's ability to exercise is reduced, and this is clearly not something which applies to you.

The sharp pain on breathing can be pulmonary embolism, which is why doctors obviously wanted to be able to rule it out, but it is not uncommon for people to have pain like this on a transient basis. One possible cause is a small patch of lung rubbing against the pleural wall. That may be a result of a viral or bacterial infection, or it may just happen. Equally one can damage one of the muscles which run between the ribs and that also can produce sharp pains. And then there's hairline fractures of the rib, which are surprisingly easy to do, particularly when you are young.

Your doctors will have thought of all these things, and a great deal more, so you can have confidence in them.

So, to summarise, I have had the sort of pains you describe in your torso for around half a century and I most certainly do not have ALS/MND.

Good luck!

Until she posts again, let's refrain from giving advice. Let's hope she realizes ALS is off the table.

Sorry--not really advice but still something for her to consider.

right sided pain through chest and even into the right side back is very OFTEN gall bladder related...and would be come and go--not constant until the GB is very, very bad. Daughter has this---all pain in chest and upper back (mine was all in upper back years and years ago.)

No--none of your symptoms even remotely resemble ALS symptoms--early or late. Good luck.

You're on the right track - seeing a doctor. Please continue to follow up. Most importantly, please don't lump all of your symptoms together in your mind and don't let your doctor, either.

I started having my first arthritis symptoms about your age - they still come and go - 30 years later and no blood screening has identified my issue as one of the known 'classified' types. That doesn't mean I don't have arthritis - it just means it's not one of the relatively few that have been officially identified by the researchers. It's a drag, but my rheumatologist said that it's not uncommon for those of us who have arthritis to also suffer from tendonitis. I honestly forget the reason(s) why, sorry. Of course, we discussed it because I have both.

Please listen to Notme about the possibility of a gall bladder condition. Been there, done that. None of your symptoms sound anything like ALS, but some DO sound like a possible gall bladder problem. G o o g le may tell you it's unlikely at your age - an, unfortunately, some doctors may agree - but 19 is not rare by any means.

I sure hope the doctor can help you figure out what's going on and provide you with some answers and treatment. This forum is not the place for you - thank goodness! :)

Dang, sent to mod. Sorry, David!

Stop engaging

She needs to see a GP

Patricia

I'm just learning about ALS since my dad was just diagnosed. I am alarmed about how many people get on here thinking they have ALS and don't know really anything about it at all. It was the farthest thing from our minds when dad started having health issues because it is usually rare. People should see a doctor and not play guessing games on what might be wrong with them. The person who posted might have more then one health issue going on. People on here have great advice on ALS because they are living with it. Giving out any other medical advice could be extremely dangerous. Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back