Is this ALS? help while my doctor can't see me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

coastaltown

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
State
UK
City
Manchester
Hello,

to begin with, thank you for welcoming in this community and I am so sorry that you are going through this.

I was hoping that you could help me understand whether some of the things that I have been experiencing lately can point to ALS or not. I have been trying to see my doctor, but with the current pandemic going on, they also 'see' me online (via a form) and recommend taking time off work essentially and radiography.

I have read the 'read before posting note '- which I found very useful. I am seeing a therapist for health anxiety and I have found that note to help.

So, with regards to my 'symptoms':
- twitching in my left arm, for several minutes (10 to 20) multiple times a day. This has happened on three different occasions. That arm also feels a little bit weaker, but at the moment I have no other means of testing this, other than lifting weights.
- Pain in my wrist. I wake up feeling fine, and during the day I develop pain around the wrist and through my ring finger and thumb.
- when I type (which is a key part of my job) I feel that my hands don't stretch as they used to. I make a lot of typos, and my once pristine documents are now just not possible without slowing down or with a lot of concentration. otherwise, I have not noticed any other 'clumsiness'.

I hope you can advise on whether I need to insist harder with my GP, or whether I should follow his advice and take some time off work and maybe wait for this pandemic to sort itself out before trying to see him again. I am also conscious of the enormous weight that our health system in the UK is under, and would not want to add to.

Thank you very much for any suggestion and time you can offer.

Thanks,

Alessandro

I forgot to mention a little mispronunciation of my 's' and 'r', which comes and goes at different points throughout the day...

Please read this if you have not already done so

You are not describing ALS at all. Please continue to work on your health anxiety.

I know you said you read the post Karen linked you to, but truly your questions were all answered in there. It would be well worth you reading it again, maybe twice as there is a lot in there to take in. It is our official position.
Try to focus on what you can do and how you can maintain health in this hard time, but don't sweat ALS for a moment :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back