Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
Several years ago, my right hand began cramping and would go all claw-like intermittently during physical exertion, like canoeing, but I didn't think it was significant because so infrequent.

Beginning several months ago, the palm on same hand would noticeably cramp and twitch without explanation or exertion. More recently, my fingers began to frequently twitch and shake, and do not feel as if there are in my control. Also, hand frequently cramps without any voluntary movement and I have to secure it at night, like Dr. Strangelove, by putting it under my pillow. Typing this message right now is difficult as my left hand fingers are moving independently of my conscious directions. What terrifies me is that now left hand is also beginning to exhibit same symptoms of twitching, shaking, loss of some control. Does this sound like ALS? I have been reading on internet and it says it can begin in hands and spread, but not clear as to exact symptoms.
Thanks and very scared. Seem to me definitely neurological and not a good range of options: MS, Parkinson's, or ALS. Thank you in advance for your consideration.

The general pattern of upper limb onset would be one hand gradually spreading that arm then after the arm is significantly affected then it might start in the other hand twitching and cramping are very non specific and shaking sounds like something else. At the beginning of ALS fingers don't shake the issue is they do not work.

What does your doctor say? There are far more benign explanations that you have on your list and in my opinion you are not describing ALS.

Good luck in figuring this out.

Thank you for your thoughtful, reassuring, and compassionate reply, Nikki. I am so sorry to hear about the impact that this had had on you and your family.

I won't see my PC for another 3 weeks, which is why I wanted to ask this forum. It is the case that I cannot use my hand properly at times and doesn't seem to do what I want, like grip being off or spasticity not allowing me to type or open jars or point in the direction that I want. But your important point about its progression doesn't seem to fit my case. I will keep search for answers. My Sincere Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back