Diagnosis
06/2014
Country
US
State
Tx
City
Austin
Been thinking a lot about this lately not meant to be religious.

I think so. And I am not religious either.

Too dang many ghosts have visited my family over the years to think otherwise.

I'm not afraid of death but the dying is gonna be a ***** ...

Actually Greg, it can be quite peaceful. Steve's fall caused his death since he was too weak to get up.

Neil, Steve was a huge Brian Wilson and Beach Boys fan. His brothers and I have heard many,many Beach Boys songs in restaurants, bars, on the radio, etc. since he died. I think he wants us to rememner the good times when that music was played.

Neil, I'm an atheist, but I say there is something after. Your loved ones. Their memory of you. The things you contributed to the world.

You probably already know my wife had a very peaceful, dignified, pain-free and panic-free passing. It is totally doable.

I'm very happy to see you posting, Neil. Looking forward to more.

Hi Neil, I'm glad to see you posting. I think about you quite often and I hope you're staying comfortable.

I truly believe there is *something* after and it's not because I'm religious or that I need *something* to exist in order to give meaning & purpose to my life. If I am only limited to my physical being and if death is the ultimate end, I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with it. I don't find that possibility to be particularly horrifying or frightening.

However, the Big Bang Theory and other scientific theories fall way short of explaining things to my satisfaction. Science only measures, proves, creates or alters properties of a physical or material nature. It can't isolate or map transcendence. It can't prove (or disprove) a soul, or locate the empathy gene. It can't replicate guilt or eliminate grief. I've yet to hear a scientific explanation for how a conscience is formed, or where exactly it resides. I don't know if I can articulate my thoughts in a way that makes sense but the easiest way I know to explain it is this: I don't sit around wondering about a color that doesn't already exist in the spectrum, so the fact I can contemplate the existence of something beyond that of a material or physical nature is proof enough (for me) of its existence. ‎Besides, there are just too many things that can't be explained without it. ‎

Last edited:
That's a very important question. Now, while many of us claim not to be afraid of dying, I think most of us are. At least I can say I am.

I have always (since childhood) thought about what comes after death and about the meaning of life. I don't thing the concept of God gives us a good explanation. I try to approach it form a more philosophical point of view. Now that the end is near, this topic becomes more relevant for me.

From a materialistic point of view, apparently there is nothing after. Our brain dies and that's it. When I was a child, I asked this question to my father. He said: "dying is like sleeping for ever". At first sight it seems to make sense. But looking at time in a subjective manner, there is a catch. Let's say that death was like freezing our body. Then there would not be much difference (for us) between one second and one thousand years (or infinite time). So this question seems to remain open if we consider time on a scale lets say form the big bang to the "end" of the universe. What if later the universe comes back to a state similar to the present?

But that opens more questions than it answers. If we were to live our lives exactly as we did this time, could we think of this "reliving" our lives as different life only because we position it on a different place in time? Actually, if the script is exactly the same, we could say that this new life is not really at a different position in time but that time has gone "in a circle" and we are back to the same point and this is not "another life".

On the other hand, if this life is different from the one we have lived, then we could think of it as "another life". But on that life, what we will remember is only what we experienced within that life and will not remember anything about this one. So the question now is: Am I the same person?

And this gets us into a different topic that is the meaning of the "I" concept. I think that even little progress has been made over the last centuries on these difficult questions, if we are honest with ourselves and keep digging into it with persistence, there is the possibility of getting to a better understanding. I wish I had more time to think about these things. Maybe with a better understanding I could feel less fear and die more comfortably.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very very well put, Lixen. Your very thoughtful response brings this to mind: Humans didn't even see the colour blue until modern times, research suggests - ScienceAlert We can see the colour blue now, but some ancient folk could not even conceive of it. Yet, clearly it exists- and surrounds us in an infinite number of shades. I think there is much that exists that we can't wrap our heads around, or even know what or how to look for. I enjoy the idea of mysteries and think death is a doorway to a grand one.

Yes there is something after. And on the other side is love. The idea there is something after without any kind of a structure is not possible. Actually it's kinda scary. I know I may not get this posted, but here goes..... In order for there to be structure there needs to be a source of that structure. In Roman Catholicism, We call that source God. Find a community of faith close by, and join it. What you are seeking is something that can not be measured so do not seek answers in science. Here is the peace you seek. Will you go to hell if you don't? No, but within faith there are tools to make your journey here so much easier.
Peace be with you.
Vincent

I've had many many spirits visit me over the years, some I've known , most I haven't. But it has to mean that there is something more on the other side, something more after death. I personally do not believe that death is the end, rather, I believe it is the beginning of the persons next journey.

I think about this every single day, Neil. At the least I believe that we live on and all the lives we've touched while here. But in my gut I believe that there is something after that is so beautiful that our human minds can't comprehend. I'm like Greg, not afraid of dying, but pretty damn scared about getting there.

I have total assurance that my spirit and soul will live eternally. I'm not afraid of death but I'm not looking forward to the dying process.

For those who may be afraid of dying a prolonged or painful death, like Mike, I can assure you that the opposite is very achievable, though often it does take a bit of forethought. Get that planning done, have the conversations, the explicit ones, and you will feel better about the process.

Those you leave behind will also feel better, knowing that they know your wishes. If anyone's loved ones need help in actually implementing those wishes when the time comes, feel free to bookmark my page for them to PM me. Seriously.

As for what lies beyond, I'm in the "nothing more" camp from the point of view of the person who passes on, but for me the gifts from the dead, such as my husband, are much more than memories. They're guides for me every day. I wouldn't be whoever I am today if not for them, him most of all.

Best,
Laurie

Absolutely without a doubt there is something beyond what we experience on this earth. I believe it is more beautiful than we can imagine.

Definitely an after life, I will look forward to meeting up with those who have gone before me.
Luv Gem

What a great, thought-provoking thread. I have received so many unexplained blessings during my lifetime that I simply can't imagine what could await me in the afterlife. Not at all afraid to go but am concerned for those I leave behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back