Diagnosis
06/2014
Country
US
State
Tx
City
Austin
i have cough assist, take mucinex and other mucus thinners. But still can't seem to stop the mucus. This started about 5 months ago- before that nothing. Now my nose runs constantly, and I wake up with mucus coming out of my stomach up my throat and no matter how much I dispose of there is always more.
Also take Zyrtec and other antihistamines- nothing seems to help.

I do not know why but alka seltzer has helped me tremendously. I started once a day and now do it twice a day, it took two days to notice the difference but it has been huge.

Pineapple juice, I believe? I've seen it mentioned on this site, and now take it with my tablets at bedtime. Helps with reflux for me..
Good luck, J x

> alka seltzer & Pineapple juice 2x per day ~ 10 oz.

Attachments

• Irish with Flag.jpg
    Irish with Flag.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 219
Have you asked your pulmo about atropine drops or the scopolamine patch? There are stronger meds available that will dry up secretions but there are pros/cons/risks involved. It seems to me this has become a quality of life issue for you so I really think you need to discuss it with your pulmo & see what alternatives are available. We used both the atropine drops as well as scopolamine with some measure of success. Unfortunately, there isn't a quick fix for this problem and it's a bit of trial and error to find something that works. Also, as a side note antihistamines *can* make mucous thicker & harder to drain so be sure whatever combo you're trying isn't a counter productive one.

Neil, that is such a miserable problem and my PALS shares it with you. Went to get the alka-seltzer Tripete wrote about in another thread, but my guy is allergic to aspirin.

We're still using the pineapple juice, but not sure if it's helping at all. Mucinex does some.

antihistamines *can* make mucous thicker & harder to drain so be sure whatever combo you're trying isn't a counter productive one.
Lixen, that's good to know--thanks!

Max, great picture! He needs a parade!

Try alzaseltzer gold. No aspirin

Nikki--thank you so much! Didn't see it, but now I'll look for it!

If you don't see it on the shelves try the big online store

Be careful about "drying it up" you will turn what you do have into glue and not be able to get it out. One of mom's doctors said that scopolamine did not work and only made the doctor fell better that he or she did something. Ask your doctor what the absolute highest dose of mucinex is that you can take. Mom was on something like 800mg at a time before trach. Also, you dont have to buy the name brand mucinex. Check the big box store shopping clubs or amazon. The brand we use is Kirkland.

Yeah we were shocked that they put aspirin in Ali's seltzer. We couldn't find alka seltzer gold in any brick and mortar store.

Neil, I love ginger beer mixed with the pineapple juice.
Don't do it...no more for me. I haven't been asleep yet...it's 6am here. Ginger is supposed to be calming...I don't want it to be that bl**dy calming though, that nothing moves!
God bless, Janelle x

Well heck if I have enough beer maybe I wont care about the mucus. And its not like Id be doing something bad for me-nothing worse than what Ive got already.

Neil, I happen to agree with you there.
Just remember what the Divinyls said about that fine line...
God bless, Janelle x

Steve drinks lots of cranberry juice. That seems to cut the mucus for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back