Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
01/2016
Country
US
State
West Virginia
City
My Husband is having severe pain in his back, he says its nerves...is there anything anyone can recommend that will help....heat pads, ointment, anything at all....THANK YOU!

GOD Bless Everyone
Sheila

My PALS has tremendous neck pain and home health nurse suggested we try a cream that hospice uses. She suggested i call pharmacy that does compounding. I called and he had a cream so had our doctor order it. Expensive and not covered by insurance but it works. So call pharmacy that does compounding. We also heard of Voltarin Gel but not supposed to use on neck.

Thank you so very much!

My PALS has tremendous neck pain and home health nurse suggested we try a cream that hospice uses. She suggested i call pharmacy that does compounding. I called and he had a cream so had our doctor order it. Expensive and not covered by insurance but it works. So call pharmacy that does compounding. We also heard of Voltarin Gel but not supposed to use on neck.

My neuro gave me a sample of Voltarin Gel. It's a NSAI. He said I could use it on my neck (even though it's not approved for neck.) It's OTC in most countries. Here it is an Rx. My neuro uses it.

Voltaren is an NSAID and the salicylate in Salonpas is related to aspirin (also technically an NSAID). Both can inhibit clotting, so just a reminder not to pile on other drugs, patches or ointments with similar effects.

SheilaZ, have you tried ice packs or heating pads, followed by light massage? Everybody is a bit different on whether they respond better to ice or heat, but ice (not terribly cold, have enough covering over the ice pack to make it tolerable) is often good for spasms and irritated nerves. It is NOT advisable to have your PAL lie directly on a heat or cold pack, and check their skin often. If a heating pad is used make sure there is an adequate layer of toweling between the heating pad and skin. Don't leave the ice/heat on longer than 20 min. at a time, but you can repeat it every hour. Make sure to do a "skin check" every couple of minutes if using heat; his skin should not be bright pink. Also, how mobile is he? Is he able to get up, walk, or at least roll over in bed? If not, he will need to be mobilized more if possible. Staying in one position for a prolonged period of time intensifies pain. You may also want to ask your PCP or neuro if you can get a prescription for a TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) unit, or better yet, a TENS/IF combo. machine. This is a small electrical stimulation machine designed to decrease pain. IF (interferential) is generally thought to be more effective at reducing pain due to an anti-inflammatory response it creates in the tissues. I don't know if your husband is on Medicare/Medicaid, but to my knowledge, Medicare will not pay for a TENS unit for back pain, but WILL pay for one for other causes of pain (joint pain, muscular and tendon injuries, etc.), so you may have to be "creative" about this. If you do use Voltarin gel or any other topical medication or pain relief cream, make sure this is removed from the skin prior to using a heating pad or a TENS unit if you are able to get one. Good luck to you. My husband also has quite a bit of back and thigh pain which limits his walking. He gets temporary relief from his IF combo unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back