Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Maryland
City
Baltimore
Is there a way to self-test ankle clonus?

I’ve watched some online videos on clonus. I see the Dr. pushing against the bottom of a patients foot and then the foot responds with a jerking motion. I tried to self-test this with no result. Does anyone know of a way to self test for clonus?

I think it would be a hard to do this yourself. You could probably get a friend to do it for you.

Cb in Ohio

Simply put . . . no. Leave that to your neuro along with your diagnosis. There is a reason they are physicians and you're not. You can't google your way into an M.D. degree and that is what it appears you're trying to do.

I think it would be a hard to do this yourself. You could probably get a friend to do it for you.

Cb in Ohio
Thanks CB1977 I will try to get a friend to help with that. Although wright is probably right in saying there is no way to self-test for clonus. He is very knowledgeable in all things ALS inflicting only moderate levels of condescension to those sincerely seeking answers.

You should certainly listen to Wright, I am a banker and have no idea what I am talking about. If you want to know what is going on with the economy... I still have no idea :)

I had no idea I had clonus until I went to the doctor after tripping (very clumsy) and tearing a ligament. I told him about my hip pain as an afterthought and he decided to do several tests on me. He was very captivated by my "clonus" and kept doing tests and ultimately sent me for an MRI. I was not amused and had no idea that it might mean anything at all. I just wanted the pain to stop.

So, that said, yes, a doctor needs to check you for clonus. They have the knowledge, the license and the correct tool.

I had no idea I had clonus until I went to the doctor after tripping (very clumsy) and tearing a ligament. I told him about my hip pain as an afterthought and he decided to do several tests on me. He was very captivated by my "clonus" and kept doing tests and ultimately sent me for an MRI. I was not amused and had no idea that it might mean anything at all. I just wanted the pain to stop.

So, that said, yes, a doctor needs to check you for clonus. They have the knowledge, the license and the correct tool.
Thanks for your imput jennibf.

Stop the sniping

Thanks CB1977 I will try to get a friend to help with that. Although wright is probably right in saying there is no way to self-test for clonus. He is very knowledgeable in all things ALS inflicting only moderate levels of condescension to those sincerely seeking answers.

Wright is not being condescending. Wright answers all questions with common sense, and when people start spinning their wheels he tells them so. You are beginning to monopolize people's time with repetitive questions--trying to fit things into a neat box. With neurological symptoms this just isn't possibly. Members on this forum go out of their way to help people with legitimate concerns and they try to clarify information. Your questions are an attempt to sort things out in your mind, but the bottom line is you have gotten good basic responses and now it is up to your doctor to help you.
Laurel

Wright is not being condescending. Wright answers all questions with common sense, and when people start spinning their wheels he tells them so. You are beginning to monopolize people's time with repetitive questions--trying to fit things into a neat box. With neurological symptoms this just isn't possibly. Members on this forum go out of their way to help people with legitimate concerns and they try to clarify information. Your questions are an attempt to sort things out in your mind, but the bottom line is you have gotten good basic responses and now it is up to your doctor to help you.
Laurel
I can see that you are like wright in that you are able to discern the thoughts and motives of others. Please forgive me for “monopolizing” your time and the time of all those who have legitimate concerns with my petty questions. Trust me, I will not let it happen again.

Jason,
I know that this is very frightening...the potential life threatening illness...especially at your age. If you read my other posts then you know that I had cardiomyopathy with congestive heart failure at age 29. Please stay and ask questions as needed. This is coming from another "newbie" who is also very scared and waiting to see if ALS is it or what other explanation (preferably OTHER) there is for the frustrating symptoms we are having.
jennifer

No one is here to drive you off of this forum and I certainly would like you to stay. You are obviously worried because you have yet to get answers about your symptoms and this is a great place for support. I think those of us that have been on this forum for some time can recognize those that are about to go off of the deep end and diagnose themselves. I feel you are headed in that direction.

I was simply trying to give you a bit of "tough love" to reign you back a bit and make sure you don't self diagnose yourself with a devestating disease that there is no evidence you have. Sometimes when I do that I come-off a bit brash and I apologize if I made you feel less than welcome.

As I said in your other post: if you have any specific questions, I would be more than happy to answer them. I'm really not a bad guy . . . I promise. ;)

Take care

Jason,
I am sorry if my words came out too harshly. I know you are scared. Don't go away because of how I phrased my response. We are here to help and I am truly sorry that I have hurt you.
Laurel

Jason,

I think its been clarified that Wright and Laurel, like many others on this forum, are here to offer you support. I just wanted to give a quick personal example of why it's hard to take medical information (or misinformation as unfortunately the case too often is) and apply it without medical training.

Early on in my diagnosed process I read about the plantar reflex, or Babinski's sign. I knew a little about it from being a father, and tormenting the heck out of three sets of infant feet. I even watched a couple of exam demonstration videos on the web. It seemed pretty simple. Stroke the foot, watch which way the toes go.

I tried it with a finger. I tried it with a pencil. I used the back of a butter knife (because that's more like the back of a medical instrument ;) ) My toes wouldn't curl. I read about all about what that could mean. They didn't shoot upward, but then they didn't curl downward either. I tried not to stress out, but it did bother me.

Then I went to my neuro consult at an academic medical center. After testing my reflexes and checking my feet, the doctor whipped the end of the instrument up my foot. Before I knew what was happening, my toes curled downward, and I nearly giggled like a girl.

What was different? I wasn't trying to do it to myself with any preconcieved notions of what would happen, I was caught off guard, and the person that performed the test had done it hundreds of times with med school and residency to back it up.

I'm a self depricating kind of guy, so I don't mind letting you in on how I've tormented myself in the past. We don't have the medical background. We haven't stared at thousands of tongues (and heaven knows what else), poked a dozen fingers everyday, or wacked a plethra a shins with a reflex hammer.

Our frame of reference is limited to our own bodies, and whatever poor friends and family we corner.

Best of luck as you work through your health concerns,

Robert

Jason,
I know that this is very frightening...the potential life threatening illness...especially at your age. If you read my other posts then you know that I had cardiomyopathy with congestive heart failure at age 29. Please stay and ask questions as needed. This is coming from another "newbie" who is also very scared and waiting to see if ALS is it or what other explanation (preferably OTHER) there is for the frustrating symptoms we are having.
jennifer
Thanks jennibf, it’s people like you that have made this site a place of encouragement. I’m sorry to hear about the struggle you have had.
I had decided to find another forum. I didn’t come here to be preached at or judged. I came to ask questions and learn from others experiences. I changed my mind about leaving when I noticed this option that enables users to ignore those users who are “troublesome”.

Thanks
J

Jason,

I wanted to offer some of my thoughts, and they are just that, my thoughts.

You sound like you have a nice family started and are active with it, your business, and most likely your church and community. My advise is to not let this doubt you have about ALS take this away from you. The mind is the most powerful tool we have, but it also can be what hinders us the most, if we start to "borrow trouble."

I've been reading down through your posts since joining us. Your first one started with your doctor saying that ALS has to be ruled out. I'm assuming that was because you'd asked about ALS, as very few doctors will even bring up ALS until there has been a lot of testing, and other avenues pursued.

It almost seems like you don't want reaffirmation that your symptoms don't point to motor neuron disease. And, its fine to play devil's advocate to an extent, but not to the extreme. I understand it is very difficult to find oneself with a condition that is not clear cut, and answers are not readily forthcoming. However, often times, the more people start to try to self diagnose, the more new symptoms they acquire, and the more frightened they become, so its important to be on guard as to this, and not let yourself go down that path.

Perhaps you can try to get your appointment at Johns Hopkins moved up to a closer date. They're the best in the world - at least IMHO. I drive over three hours to be seen there, but would drive many times over that, if needed, and there you are right there!

Those that you've taken issue with on here (so far, I may be next) are very knowledgeable people, who, although they do not have medical degrees, absolutely do know what they're talking about. There isn't a kinder person on here than Laurel! Al, who has ALS, has acquired an impressive understanding of the disease, and also is good at reading people. As a moderator he puts in countless hours for this forum and its members. Wright originally came here due to his own health concerns, and has stayed around to help. He has been invaluable to me personally with interpretation of test results. He teaches in this field on a college level.

Some conditions and diseases just take a while to develop enough for diagnosis. Its frustrating, yes, but you'll do yourself and your family a great disservice if you allow the Great Unknown to take over your life. I'm not at all saying you've done this, but rather to beware of the danger.

Good luck to you, and again, do whatever you can to get into Hopkins, they're the best,

take care, :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back