PALS
Country
US
State
Missouri
City
Imperial
:confused:

My father has started the detox and special diet thing. Has anyone followed through with these diets and had results. We've read the few stories out there were if you eat this and flush your body of that you'll live years longer......kinda hard to believe. I just want to know if he should spend his money on these potions or relax on the beach while he can.

One vote for the beach. Al.

Whatever you do - don't spend any significant money on any potions or products.

Anyone telling you that any specific regimen, treatment or diet definately makes a perceptable difference is probably lying or deluded.

Due to the nature of ALS - it's virtually impossible to tell if any given treatment is making a difference - any perceived improvement may simply be the natural course of the disease which has its up and downs - if an improvement is due to some diet change - who knows if it was due to something you did yesterday or a year ago - no one can say for sure - outside of a controlled test environment (and even then it would be tough) it's impossible to say.

Having said this - from a general health point of view it makes sense to focus on diet - will it have an impact on your ALS? Who knows - but there are enough related health benefits to justify making a conscious effort to eat healthier - but don't go bananas.

Shortly after I was diagnosed I was very strict about my diet - was afraid to go out - stressed about eating. Now - I still watch what I eat - but I want to live a bit too. So I'm treating myself more often. If I'm going to have a feeding tube stuck in me I want my memory of food to be of something I enjoy - not dry organic granola and raw vegetables - I'll save that stuff for the feeding tube.

Take your dad to the beach. ASAP.

My favourite line from Shawshank Remption:

"Get busy living or get busy dying."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back