Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
HK
State
HK
City
Hong Kong
Greetings everyone, first please forgive my poor English, i am from Hong Kong. :smile:

I've been keep looking any solution in recent years from online, but after many and many paper i read, i am curious am i really having ALS?

First i am 21 years old right now, around 6years ago i found the muscle near thumb were very thin. Around 1years ago, my foot was getting weaken, shank's muscle turns to thinner, but not completely recession. Also I can feel those muscles shaking while i shrink my toe. Foot is not much power on raise, having footdrop right now. Hands have a very little sharking.

My elite brother had the same symptoms. He's 24 years old right now. Having same symptoms from similar age (around 14-16). But his shank’s muscle not sharking while toe shrinking. His shank's muscles were already recessed, completely no power raising foot. Need to use a “Plastic foot rack” hold his legs and foots in 90 degree assist for walking.

Nerve test shows that right legs nerve have degradation.

Doctor was doubted that is ALS during my elite brother diagnosis. For me, there is no conclusion is that ALS or others, might be similar to my elite brother. There is not such disease happened in my family history.

I searched and it said ALS is a brain problem, the brain doesn't know to control the muscles, but I didn’t found any sources said that the nerves will be damaged. So me and my brother are having ALS or not? =(

Hi Luis,
Sorry to read that you are having problems. One condition to discuss with your neurologist would be Monomelic Motor Atrophy. It is more common in the Asian population, it usually isn't too disabling, and symptoms sort of plateau. What you describe seems to fit the symptoms. Best of luck to you.
Laurel

Monomelic amyotrophy
Definition

Monomelic amyotrophy (MMA) is a rare disease of the nerves that control voluntary movements of the limbs.
Description

One of the motor neuron diseases (MND), degenerative conditions that involve the nerves of the upper or lower parts of the body, MMA is generally a benign disease associated with minimal disability. Onset of MMA primarily occurs between the ages of 15 and 25. The main features of the disease are wasting and weakness of a single upper or lower limb. Generally, MMA progresses slowly overa period of 2–4 years, and then reaches a stationary phase during which the disease remains stable for years.

Monomelic amyotrophy may also be known as benign focal amyotrophy, single limb atrophy, Hirayama syndrome or Sobue disease. Descriptive terms such as brachial monomelic amyotrophy (MMA confined to an arm) or monomelic amyotrophy of the lower limb (MMMA of a leg) may be used to specify the type of limb affected. O'Sullivan-McLeod syndrome, a variant of MMA, is a slowly progressive form of the disease that causes weakness and wasting of the small muscles of the hand and forearm.
Demographics

Monomelic amyotrophy occurs worldwide and is most prevalent in Asia, and especially in Japan and India. According to a report in 1984, MMA of the lower limb occurs in about four in a million people in India. There is a preponderance of males with MMA; estimates of the male to female ratio range from 5:1 to 13:1.
Causes and symptoms

As of 2004, the underlying cause or causes for MMA remain unresolved. Most cases are sporadic and occur in an individual without a family history of MMA. Numerous factors—such as viral infection, vascular insufficiency (inadequate blood supply) of the spinal cord, heavy physical activity, radiation injury, traumatic injury, and atrophy of the spinal cord—have been suggested as possible causes of MMA. There are a few reports of familial cases of MMA.

Laurel really thanks for your reply. I believe the neurologist was gave me the EMG test, when he sticked a big stitch into my shank's muscles, the machine make some noisy like a very very fast heartbeat, but when he stick it into my arm, it sounds like a continuous white noise. so is that fits to MMA symptoms but not ALS?

If this is MMA, i heart nerves system can "heal" itself, so after the disease remain stable, will the nerves can be recover? also will it like ALS ends up i cannot even breathing and swallowing? I am still young... although it is not serious disability, but i already feel i am being disabled becoz i feel not so balaning when i walking...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back