Is microbiome cause of ALS, or at least - related?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jethro

Distinguished member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
09/2017
Country
HR
State
Croatia
City
ZAGREB
this seems to be my last investigation station. microbiome is THE ONLY thing that is not perfect on me, so i dig.
firmicutes, low akkermansia and diversity are my focus.
metformin (panacea?) does it's job incredibly fine - increases akkermansia muciniphila, along with TCM, fos and gos. it repairs intestines/mucus, so metabolites dont go to cns.
umm... brain has it's own microbiome, but patching bbb/mucus wil help.
anyone on the same boat?

When I was first diagnosed I had terrible stomach issues. I didn't connect the two until I studied gut bacteria and the role they play. In the first test, my microbiome was not balanced and lacked a few key things. I corrected them using inulin, Saccromyces and some targeted probiotics. Next test it was better but not perfect.

I have no idea if my gut had anything to do with ALS or with other issues I've had but correcting it seemed easy and affordable.

Nice to see you, Jethro.

There is current research going on looking at the microbiome. I somewhat doubt it is THE cause but implicated somehow. There has been some fascinating mouse research. There were 2 genetically identical sets of c9 mice in 2 locations. One did well the other was sick. They analyzed and found differences in their microbiome , adjusted the microbiome of the sick ones and the got better. I believe a cleaner microbiome was healthier for these mice. BUT when they looked at sod1 mice the opposite was true. They needed a less clean microbiome to thrive.

Of course mouse data generally have translated poorly to humans but even more so it is unclear what you should aim for if you aren’t c9 or sod1. Even if you are it is still early days for data. People in the US can participate in the mgh study remotely. I have posted about it here before.

althought sod1 mice results are mostly non-translatable to humans, the fact that before onset (after inducing), changes in microbiome take a place first - it seems to be crucial. as far as i know, "they" stil dont know mechanism of relationship mutant sod1 and dying neurons.
o, kim! good to see you too!

@lynnbr2 Interesting article. Says CD-8 T cells increasing correlates with disease progression. May help explain why when I give blood my symptoms/progression are lessened.

"...Figueroa-Romero et al. conducted another study using the SOD1G93A mouse model to elucidate the temporal evolution of gut microbiome and immune system in relation to ALS symptom onset [60]. They provided additional evidence showing that microbiome alterations occurred prior to the onset of motor dysfunction and muscle atrophy, and that Akkermansia muciniphila (A. muciniphila) and Bacteroides caccae were less prevalent in the colon of SOD1G93A mice compared with the wild-type littermates [60]."

actually, nobody knows (by now) how sod1 and c9 mutants act. obviously they affect in a certain way microbiome. i found 5 (of 5) pals with NO akkermansia m., but that (absence) can be a consequence. some pals can have mutation i.e. TRIP4 - same manifestation, but completelly different thing, even it looks the same. we're in a same boat for ignorants. since i take metformin and changed diet, i have stool every day (before all my life was 2/week) and progression stopped, but havoc remained.

Jethro, What dose of metformin do you take?

kim, i tried with 2g/day, just like in trial. before that i checked my insulin (who cares about glucose) and it was significantly elevated. i thought "i'll kill 2 flies with one punch". metformin lowers insulin (resistance) and elevates akkermansia!! now i am on 1g/day.
after 9 months of metformin, my akkermansia was low green and insulin ok. how it (akk.m.) was before metformin????'
pendulum-life doesnt work! i'll check my microbiome in oct again.
this woman spoke a little, but tells a lot:

is KimT=KimB?

'i noticed hba1c

Metformin is being studied for many things. You're spot on when you say glucose is entirely different than measuring insulin.

Biological pathways and mechanisms shared by AD and GIT disorders​

I had GERD and gastritis long before ALS. I often wonder if it was a contributing factor as I've been on a PPI for over 20 years.

Proton pump inhibitors affect the gut microbiome

I've also been prescribed and used PPI (Pantoprazole) for several months roughly 1.5 years prior to my ALS diagnosis. I suspect that this messed up my gut microbiota and as a result caused ALS. However, none of my doctors really agrees ("We simply don't know"). I'm in search of a commercial FMT treatment. So if you have an idea where this can be done (safely) in EU, please share.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back