Is it time for a Peg Tube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It cannot hurt to have things like a tube done before you really need them. Being proactive helps relieve the stress of things to come. Good luck!

Please speak to your doctor. My suggestion would be to get it now before you actually need it. My mom waited too long.

This is why this forum is so great. Kevalyn's mother just died, and came on here to give advice!

Thank you everyone! I emailed my neurologist. I hope to get in before my insurance expires at the end of the year. Then it's high dollar cobra and Medicare.

Once you medicare kicks in, you shouldn't need the "high dollar Cobra"

I was diagnosed 9-22-11 and I weighed 120. Since then I am down to 106. Food is hard to chew and swallow. I have been drinking ensures and weight gain shakes, but cannot put the weight on. I really don't have much of an appetite since being diagnosed. Is it too soon for a Peg tube?

If you are losing weight without intending to and you are having difficulty swallowing it may be a good time to consult your physician about a PEG procedure. Additionally, there are good products that are ideal for PEG feeding that can be given in support of a eating orally or taken strictly as a feeding tube diet. Providence Infusions has two really good products, Jevity 1.5 and 2 Cal HN which provide a balanced diet along with a healthy level of caloric intake. When you eat via a feeding tube its really important to remember to take in fluids as well. The liquid diet alone will not provide you with enough fluid intake to keep you hydrated. Lastly, getting a feeding tube doesn't mean you have to stop eating by mouth, you can continue to do so unless you don't feel comfortable with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back